Murder on the Orient Express

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Murder on the Orient Express

I've just watched Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. Unfortunately because of distractions I missed a lot of the movie, but since it's on cassette, can view it again. I really enjoyed this movie! When I was a teenager, I read many, many Agatha Christie books.

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

Directed by Sidney Lumet
Albert Finney .... Hercule Poirot
Lauren Bacall .... Mrs. Hubbard
Martin Balsam .... Bianchi
Ingrid Bergman .... Greta Ohlsson
Jacqueline Bisset .... Countess Andrenyi
Jean-Pierre Cassel .... Pierre Paul Michel
Sean Connery .... Colonel Arbuthnott
John Gielgud .... Beddoes
Wendy Hiller .... Princess Dragomiroff
Anthony Perkins .... Hector McQueen
Vanessa Redgrave .... Mary Debenham
Rachel Roberts .... Hildegarde Schmidt
Richard Widmark .... Ratchett
Michael York .... Count Andrenyi
Colin Blakely .... Dick Hardman

I'm wondering if any other members have seen this or other movies based on books. And while we're at it, where did Agatha Christie live? Any fans out there?

Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
hehe IFB lots of sunshine and very strong tea :-}
iFB
Anonymous's picture
what????? no class A drugs????
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Any suggestions, IFB? :-}
iFB
Anonymous's picture
... barry have you been licking toads???
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Stop it! I'm laughing too hard.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
.... barry ... what is that glass thing with rubber pipes and water in the bottom that i see on your desk????
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
IFB, can't stop laughing. Thanks, IFB. I needed that today. Chers.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Although I am not a Christie expert, I do know that she was born in Torquay, Devon in 1890. She did live abroad for a number of years but I'm not quite sure exactly where she settled upon returning to England. However, my father-in-law actually met her when he was a boy. Obviously she was a white-haired old lady by then, not unlike Miss Marple. He described as as very sharp and inquisitive, bright as a buttin. I shall pick his brains on the subject. One intriguing fact about her is that in 1926, she 'disappeared' for eleven days. It is still an area of controversy and mystery, the subject of a film as well, starring Dustin Hoffman and Vanessa Redgrave. There's something for you to investigate Barry. (The mystery, not the film) Intrigue!
wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Note: A buttin is similar to a button but is a word used by sloppy writers who spell button incorrectly.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
i like buttin ... it is similar to curtin ...
Taj
Anonymous's picture
Pretty stunning cast. It's been ages since I saw the film, though (can't remember a thing).
olive
Anonymous's picture
thought blakely was on the buses, not the orient express
iFB
Anonymous's picture
*been out for toad*
robert
Anonymous's picture
does it have to be a toad, specifically? don't think there are any toads round here. do you think i could get a similar buzz from a slug?
iFB
Anonymous's picture
well ... perhaps if you smoke it robert ...
robert
Anonymous's picture
*cough* well that wasn't too bad...if you don't inhale they taste a bit like marlboro....
iFB
Anonymous's picture
you smoked it already??? ... and i was just going to check with barry wood ... world expert on mind altering substances ...
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Oh, Fish, yuk! (We have FAR better things here). Confession time: I used to really like AC and still, on occasion, readthe odd (very odd) AC book. 'Tis light relief between all the Russian and French classics. Ahem. Hell, peecee playing up again, hence the lack of coordination (nothing to do with Bone's pipes and water, I do assure you...
robert
Anonymous's picture
* tries to remember the cast of On The Buses *
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Reg Varney??? Et al...
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Andrea, please don't say "tis" you remind me of one that has left us for pastures of tis and twas. I think I got the last word right. Never sure whether to spell it with an s or a t.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*has slug up each nostril, in desperate attempt to get writing again*
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Sorry to offend, Stormy, but I have a fondness for ''tis'. Also: Thus, hitherto, wherefore, henceforth and oft (sometimes). 'Twats' is nice, too.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
liana ... maybe nostril not right place for slug ...
stormy
Anonymous's picture
;-> I also have a fondness for tis. I think I spelt that right
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Alas, poor Stormy...
big dave
Anonymous's picture
pssst, liana...i can score yer a 50 gram garden black if you're interested...top quality...
dave's sister
Anonymous's picture
I knew him well. I can score too. unlike owen
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
Yes, I remember Adlestrop -- The name, because one afternoon Of sweat the express-train blew up there Unwarrantedly. I was with June. The driver, pissed. Someone grabbed my throat. No one died but no one came round On the burnt platform. What I saw Was Adlestrop -- stupid name And ambulances, firemen, a nurse, And TV crews from CNN and Sky, Those witless nits, the Tabloid Press were there. Then the engine blew and flew into the sky. And for that minute a black cloud hung Close by, and round it, rubbernecking Nearer and nearer, all the nerds Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
WOW!! Yes please... lve been stuck with all these second rate brownish ones with dots on Just not the same.... Fishwife, l was wondering where you would suggest l put them? Only lve had enough slugs elsewhere.....
Eddie
Anonymous's picture
I wrote a poem about slugs: Slug I am a horned ingot of night, my trail is a freeze-frame comet spray; a stream of glit and slimy light. ok, please yerselves.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
...and that's what little boys are made of...
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Barry, I recommend reading 'Who killed Roger Ackroyd?' (I can dig the author's name out if need be) - a deconstruction of Christie's greatest classic and suggesting that Poirot was wrong when he unmasked the killer. It is very entertaining and a reminder of what a genius Christie was in her particular field. Sure, her characters were cardboard, but at what she did, she was the best there has ever been. Except Sparkling Cyanide - which is a cheat, do not read or watch on television, the murderer is on screen/page for a blink of an eye.
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for the suggestion, Andrew; I'll add it to my "must read" list.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Actually Barry, if you like crime fiction, Chesterton was also a bit of a giant in the field of puzzle-crime. Tends to stretch the genre more than Christie - everything that you take as a given in a crime story is not to be relied on with Chesterton, whose best short story is "The Absence of Mister Glass" in one of the Father Brown collections. Utter genius and with a real sense of human warmth as well. Sigh, first rumours that I watch Crossroads (untrue, but I do watch a lot of Hollyoaks) and now I confess to loving English "cosy" crime fiction. This is killing the image.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Bugger the image, Andrew, who needs it? I like Christie, Chesterton, Wodehouse, Chandler, Doyle, Mitford, Weldon, Murdoch, Drabble... Image! Pah!
iFB
Anonymous's picture
barry! never mind licking toads i can thoroughly recommend sloe gin ...
sp
Anonymous's picture
I thought it was fast gin ivy?
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Andrea, your first four would be in my top ten. There's a brief tribute to Wodehouse essay in one of my sets.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
I'll go look it up, Andrew, thanks - he made miserable schooldays bearable...
reba
Anonymous's picture
Have you got the author Of "Who killed R. Ackroyd"? And thanks for the Chesterton suggestion. I'm listening to Agatha C. and Sherlock H. tapes to relieve the boredom while washing-up (there are a lot of us in my family!!). Haven't been able to read a book for ages - prayers please from all bookworms that I can find a niche.....
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Wasn't 'Roger Ackroyd' Christie? Have to admit to not reading any AC for years. Dear ol' Sherlock! He, too, made schooldays less of a nightmare (especially under the desk in the RI lessons)
Dave Randall
Anonymous's picture
I am now more confused by the detective genre than I was previously. I must admit that when the forensic scientist explained they had been able to identify the slug they were referring to a bullet used that had caused the mysterious death. Indeed at other times I had assumed that the victim had been hit from behind with a heavy object when it stated they had been slugged. Now I find that the humble garden slug in all it's varieties is a narcotic and wonder if when taken in sufficient quantities could have caused some of the fatalities I have encountered when reading AC and others. Can anyone enlighten me without suggesting I try any particular slug?
iFB
Anonymous's picture
*wants some of whatever barry is on*
Topic locked