voice recognition system

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
voice recognition system

Hello,

Is there anyone who has tried voice recognition as an aid to writing.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has any suggestions or advice, preferably good, about the adaptation.

justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
You could try IBM Via Voice. I'm not sure how much this costs, as I got it for free, but it believe it is quite cheap, as it is intended for a consumer market. I have not used it much, but I have used it. The thing with this kind of software is that you have to spend a fair amount of time "teaching" the machine to recognize your voice. This is tedious, as it means you must read text which comes with the product, into your computer over and over until the computer builds up a sufficient database of your voice to make the recognition work quickly. This process actually goes fairly quickly. I would guess you could be running full speed in a few hours. Just remember that you will need a fairly powerful computer to take advantage of this product. The software itself doesn\t take up much space, but for the recognition routines to work properly and quickly, you will need some horsepower. I think this product is available at PC World and the like. It is not obscure. You could probably purchase it over the internet, perhaps even download it.
P. Ervert
Anonymous's picture
I think ABC Tales already has a Vice Recognition System, dammit.
David Taub (aka...
Anonymous's picture
Hi Jane, There are a number of voice recognition systems on the market and I had business dealings with Philips when they were pioneering a system in the 80's. Obviously a lot has happened since then, and I have come across one or two other systems. Your best bet would be to contact the RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind) as there are many blind writers who use various sytems. Unfortunately I am in the US now and only have contact with their writers' division. But you can get the RNIB info from BT directory enquiries or probably the local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Topic locked