A Dad's Poem

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Dad's Poem

I read this today, although unfortunately I don't know the author, but I thought I should share it. It's entltled A Dad's Poem:

Her hair was up in a pony tail,
her favorite dress tied with a bow.
Today was Daddy's Day at school,
and she couldn't wait to go.

But her mommy tried to tell her,
that she probably should stay home.
Why the kids might not understand,
if she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid;
she knew just what to say.
What to tell her classmates
of why he wasn't there today.

But still her mother worried,
for her to face this day alone.
And that was why once again,
she tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school
eager to tell them all.
About a dad she never sees
a dad who never calls.

There were daddies along the wall in back,
for everyone to meet.
Children squirming impatiently,
anxious in their seats.

One by one the teacher called
a student from the class.
To introduce their daddy,
as seconds slowly passed.

At last the teacher called her name,
every child turned to stare.
Each of them was searching,
a man who wasn't there.

"Where's her daddy at?"
she heard a boy call out.
"She probably doesn't have one,"
another student dared to shout.

And from somewhere near the back,
she heard a daddy say,
"Looks like another deadbeat dad,
too busy to waste his day."

The words did not offend her,
as she smiled up at her Mom.
And looked back at her teacher,
who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back,
slowly she began to speak
And out from the mouth of a child,
came words incredibly unique.

"My Daddy couldn't be here,
because he lives so far away.
But I know he wishes he could be,
since this is such a special day.

And though you cannot meet him,
I wanted you to know.
All about my daddy,
and how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories
he taught me to ride my bike.
He surprised me with pink roses,
and taught me to fly a kite.

We used to share fudge sundaes,
and ice cream in a cone.
And though you cannot see him.
I'm not standing here alone

"Cause my daddy's always with me,
even though we are apart
I know because he told me,
he'll forever be in my heart"

With that, her little hand reached up,
and lay across her chest.
Feeling her own heartbeat,
beneath her favorite dress.

And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,
her mother stood in tears.
Proudly watching her daughter,
who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love
of a man not in her life.
Doing what was best for her,
doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand back down,
staring straight into the crowd.
She finished with a voice so soft,
but its message clear and loud.

"I love my daddy very much,
he's my shining star.
And if he could, he'd be here,
but heaven's just too far

You see he was a police officer
and died just this past year
When airplanes hit the towers
and taught Americans to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes,
it's like he never went away."
And then she closed her eyes,
and saw him there that day.

And to her mothers amazement,
she witnessed with surprise.
A room full of daddies and children,
all starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them,
who knows what they felt inside.
Perhaps for merely a second,
they saw him at her side.

"I know you're with me Daddy,"
to the silence she called out.
And what happened next made believers,
of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,
for each of their eyes had been closed.
But there on the desk beside her,
was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,
by the love of her shining star.
And given the gift of believing,
that heaven is never too far.

Hen
Anonymous's picture
He was taking the piss and making a point you should well appreciate. It's sentiments like those expressed in Karl's poem which give rise to further racial hatred.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
How does this poem give rise to racial hatred? From an artistic point of view, it's an absolutely awful poem but I wouldn't necessarily object to the sentiments expressed in it, if they were expressed in the form of a good poem. I don't think saying that 9/11 made Americans scared and that it had a big long term effect on the families of those who were killed is inciting racial hatred. That said, Rokkit's riposte is very funny.
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
I was just chuffed to have rhymed 'suburbanites' with 'turbaned types'. Made my day, that did.
Hen
Anonymous's picture
"How does this poem give rise to racial hatred?" Yeah, that was a bit of an extreme way of putting it. I was thinking of the kind of person who might read it, feel awfully touched by the sentiments, and stirred the very subtle reminder that dark-skinned types had taken away this girl's daddy. All very vague and abstract, I know, but was trying to counter the idea that Tim's response was racist.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
"I was thinking of the kind of person who might read it, feel awfully touched by the sentiments, and stirred the very subtle reminder that dark-skinned types had taken away this girl's daddy." Fair enough, I still think it would be more worrying if people read the poem and were inspired to write in a similar style. The consequences could be disastrous.
Hen
Anonymous's picture
I'm inclined to agree, although there's plenty of it around already, and it doesn't seem to be doing too much harm..... Touchwood.
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
how can you all say that 'kill the fucking Muzzies' is not a racist comment? whether it's a joke, or not, it's just ignorance. some people out there are so narrow minded, they can't see past the media which is, if anyone was aware, very biased. isn't it strange that i thought the study of english was about looking at situations from different points of view and trying to understand issues from everyone's perspective. anyway, please people, can we all cool it now? i don't believe that this website was created for religious/political discussions.
Dan
Anonymous's picture
It's not racist because: Rokit is writing in a voice other than his own, satarising the first poem by exposing the implicit approval of violence beneath it's sacharine sentimentality. The hightened terminology that you object to so much is part of what makes it obvious he is not being serious. If I write a story from a racist perspective am I not allowed to use racist language?
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
From Concise Oxford Dictionary: Satire - n. 1 the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices. 'kill the fucking Muzzies' is a racist comment but it's a racist comment made by a fictional character in a poem. Characters in poems and stories say and do things which the authors themselves wouldn't say and don't do. The writers of murder mystery novels are generally not murderers. In this case, the satirical point is that the first poem seems to be a tragic story about someone's dad being killed but it's really a tragic story about a heroic white American daddy being killed by evil black Muslims. The underlying message is that white American Christians are good and everyone else is bad, particularly Muslims. The person who's saying 'kill the fucking Muzzies' is both what Rokkit believes the girl in the poem is really saying and probably also the voice of (some) Americans after they've read a poem like that. Rokkit is recognising this unpleasant message and using satire - which is not exactly the same things as a joke - to expose it.
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
thank you david floyd... when i read the 2nd part of the poem it appeared that this was the author's opinion too and he was expressing it in a very racial way. but can we please stop this conversation now??
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
>> i don't believe that this website was created for religious/political discussions. << I don't post on this forum very often (some might say, bloody good job too) but jda's beliefs about the purpose of the site are probably inaccurate. Without the exchange of thought's and feelings writers are reduced to parrots. Religion and politics are quite possibly the two most volatile topics anyone can discuss, and this site is EXACTLY the kind of place for that discussion. You can't call for a cessation of discussion when you've had YOUR say and deny others the same right.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
She's only 14 Miss... give her a break. She's still learning (as are we all)
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
thanx liana
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Sorry jda, I'd forgotten I'd seen your age on another forum, I tend to assume that we're all adults here. I suppose I was a bit harsh, I'll try to be kinder in future.
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
bless ya! :)
stephen d
Anonymous's picture
miss jda has got a valid point. In this bloody world we live in there are many racists and if you are on the receiving end of the racism it can start to make you ever so aware and even paranoid of innocent comments. It is understandable although obviousley not meant.
stephen d
Anonymous's picture
oh and i quite enjoyed the poem.......
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
thanx for your support, it's very occasional that people back me up!
ritawrites
Anonymous's picture
"suburbanites" "turbanned types" -- BRILL, I say...!!
Pesky Translati...
Anonymous's picture
thia - there hu - who hav - have yu - you wuldn't - wouldn't clu - clue wuld - would meet - met meny - many thru - through wit - with howluky - how lucky r - are No charge, consider it a service.
BIG RON'S CHALKBOARD
Anonymous's picture
Is Karl the author of this poem? We must be told. Where was it found? Tell us now or I'll show you the offside trap with me old chalkboard. Best Ron
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Jesus christ, is the English language to be assaulted on a daily basis from now on by people who think it's cool and groovy to write in moron.
*lyssa*
Anonymous's picture
EXUCSE ME!!ill rite how eva i want to rite its not elegal is it...NOT FROM WEN I LAST HERD!! anyway these comments are not for people to be arguing about, thayre for people to post sumfink bout that luvly poem up the top thia!!
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I'd say you're about 14, right?
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
With the hotmail address funkybabe_27, I'd say she'd have to be in her mid-forties at least.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I think the number refers to months, Tim. I know 14yr olds who are far more literate than our friend above.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
So do i... my daughter for one. Your email address rokkit, conjures up a 15 year old boy with a friction burned right hand, so you never can tell.
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
Ah. Yes. Thought someone might point that out. But, as you say, I do not have an adolescent mentality nor am I sexually frustrated. Definitely not.
Tmobilemoron
Anonymous's picture
U tkn da p, u dg trd?
EllyRox
Anonymous's picture
That is so beautiful, it made me cry. It would be great to know who the author is because they did an amazing job. More amazing is the way it brings out emotions.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
*puts head in hands, considers slicing off own arm* Come back Pam Ayres, all is forgiven. Walt Disney, your crimes against humanity are too great to calculate.
mommy
Anonymous's picture
*barfs*
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
And then the girl rose from her desk Clutching a pair of uzis, 'I'm going to travel to Iraq and kill the fucking Muzzies. I'll blast their mosques to smithereens - It's what my daddy would have done! He told me once, in the marines, He capped a darkie, just for fun.' Her tirade warmed the grease-clogged hearts Of middle-class suburbanites, Who learned their morals from TV And feared the wrath of turbaned types. And soon, the girl was in Baghdad, Dispensing justice to the baddies, She fought with bomb, grenade and gun, Robbing a nation of its daddies. Karl, I hope you posted that awful, saccharine crap as a joke.
teacher
Anonymous's picture
I think that should be 'bathes'.
Hen
Anonymous's picture
That child sees dead people. It's not funny.
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
that was a very touching poem karl, i too would like to read more poems by the same author. and by the way Rokkitnite, you should stop being so racist as it ruins people's lives (trust me from experience: i'm half turkish and a studying 'muzzie') i've even written a poem about it if you wish to find it and read it...
nancy
Anonymous's picture
miss jda while rokit goes off looking for your poem.. you might want to look for a dictionary and look up the word 'sarcasm' as for the poem..... yes.. email forwards can be so.. "touching" can't they? ...that was your first lesson in sarcasm by the way.. [%sig%]
miss.jda
Anonymous's picture
yeh, maybe i'm being paranoid but i don't really find that kind of thing very funny. at the end of the day we are all humans, whatever nationality or religion. People should RESPECT that.
Topic locked