Copyright.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Copyright.

I've just received an email from the Beeb and they've linked up with Marchmont films who are looking for 10 minute comedy film scripts. The money is not very good as in nothing, and they have a disclaimer on their 'conditions' whatnot which says that they often get similar ideas in, so in so many words they say that if we pinch your idea you can't sue nah nah nah nah nah! Heaven forfend that they would consider doing that of course.
A writing partner and I were writing about a dysfunctional family that win the football pools. Which dates it. But then the lottery came along with stupendous prizes, so we switched track.

The partnership broke up but my then ex-writing partner said if you want to carry on with it do so. I decided to punt what we had to various TV companies and the response was 'very good but not quite what we want.' 7 years later out comes 'At home with the Braithwates' which was about a dysfunctional family that wins the lottery. I am not suggesting for a second that ITV stole it but what security is there?

Seems to me the only security you can accumulate is by publishing your plots, stories etc BEFORE offering them around, even if it means self-publishing.

Hi Mississippi, is this a form of self-publishing? I know that in the music biz, all we did was to record stuff on a tape, put it in a Jiffy bag, seal it then send it to yourself recorded delivery - and of course don't open it.

I dunno styx, I'm just a simple country boy. Probably the best person around here to ask would be Andrea, she's a real smart-arse when it comes to copyright issues.

You're a simple country boy too? I'm just one of them hicks from the sticks too. Is that too many too's, or should that be as well?

Topic locked