I need help with a curse.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need help with a curse.

Hello,

I am currently writing a novel about sex and promiscuity. I have this character that gets cursed/ contracts a STD and his hands swell up to the size of baseball gloves. The more I think about it the less pleased I am with it. Any ideas as to what poetic justice I can befall on him. I was thinking hands because private parts are too obvious. I was also thinking maybe the hands could become really hairy, like a chimp. I'm stuck in a rut so any suggestions comments would be extremely welcome.

Many thanks.

Patrick.

Have you read 'Cock and Bull' by Will Self? Maybe your character could grow a minature vagina on each palm.
Maybe he could get acute halitosis everytime he gets the horn. Even George Clooney couldn't get laid with that.
IMO, I think the author must ultimately decide every aspect of their work. And kicking around ideas with others is great, but having lots of confidence is sometimes much better. Only you know where the story is going from the onset. The subject of sex is not as tough a storyline for mainstream readership as it has been in the past. And today the more outrageous the story can often determine the difference between success or failure for the author to deliver what they really intended from the very beginning. I believe if you really think about the story that you are writing that you’ll be able to deliver just the right “… poetic justice…."
Generally agree with Elmo. That said, I think it depends on how funny you want the novel to be, how 'realistic,' etc - how much is it a serious, poignant, 'cautionary' tale and how much is it just a silly bit of entertaining nonsense? What exactly do you want the reader to feel upon first discovering the protagonist's curse? How do you want the curse to develop? (if at all) And how does the protagonist's life develop, as a result of the curse? Stuff like that. :-) * P * :-)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked