Back to the Eighties?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Back to the Eighties?

Take my borough, Southwark as an example. Though crashing, house prices are still laughable even if people could get a mortgage. Social housing is in short supply and new social housing projects are being mothballed as the builders can't sell the private units to fund it. They are continuing to move us out of our crumbling estate because it costs too much to maintain the aging buildings. As the new flats won't be ready because of the housing market, we are being given the highest priority for existing social housing in the borough ... so we will move to nicer digs but as a result, everyone else on the waiting list has no chance of getting a place for years. That includes families in temporary accomodation, families of 5 in one-bedroom, those in medical need, and the ever growing number of families who are repossessed or evicted for rent arrears... oh sorry, they can't go on the waiting list anyway as they are 'intentionally' homeless!

Private rents are at a ridiculous level. Even a professional struggles to afford a place. People will be living in cars, hostels, garages ...
Are going to be a back to the eighties? Maybe the government as part of its strategy should reopen cardboard city! The housing crisis has to date been a slowly deepening one but I feel a time bomb about to explode in a very messy way.

Just another of the many bombs set to explode, j. Maybe we will be forced to return to the days of the extended family all living together - heaven forbid :oO
I think it will be a temporary crisis since estate agents are hyping up private rents to survive and fundamentals should lower them when the hysteria passes. Purchase prices will have fallen to a more sane level by the time the mortgage market un-freezes. ABN AMro produced a report that indicates the supply-demand argument is at least partly fallacious. I just think we are in for a very, very ugly 2-5 years... although it will pass Hope I am right jude

"Private rents are at a ridiculous level. Even a professional struggles to afford a place. People will be living in cars, hostels, garages ..." I think that's a bit dramatic. There might be professionals who can't afford to rent their own flat. Professionals who think they can't afford a room in a reasonably pleasant house or flatshare - which is the best many of us have been able to do since leaving home - probably need to change their lifestlye slightly. "Social housing is in short supply and new social housing projects are being mothballed as the builders can't sell the private units to fund it." Well, the answer to that if for the government to fund social housing itself. In my opinion, correcting market failure in terms of providing a roof over people's head is one of the key points of having a government. It's possible that after over 10 years of Labour avoiding funding new social housing for fear of being accused of being old Labour, the Tories will come in and do it as a pragmatic necessity.

I am reticent about building lots of new social housing. Some for key workers, the disabled and so on is good but I think the squeeze on subsidised housing is in one sense a good thing. If we gave every single family who may struggle with rent or mortgage a house, then people would have families before they are financially fit to do so as a means to securing accomodation. A small minority do this already, but I think building new houses would mean less people like me who delay having children will continue to do so. The houses built would quickly fill up, the backlog of need would build up again ... we would be running forward to stand still, eventually running out of brownfield and creeping outward into greenbelt. In one sense, we need our population to grow to support the ever growing number of pensioners but this is unsustainable. We need to rethink our economic structure and pensions policy, not encourage population growth. The universal declaration of human rights talks about the right to housing. I believe this means that conditions prevailing should enable the average working person to rent or buy housing for themselves. This is where the government has failed. I like many others got it totally wrong in thinking the financial market would regulate itself best. Retrospectively, it seems obvious that the government with the FSA should have stopped the banks lending people insane multiples of their salary which would have prevented the ludicrous boom and many of the current problems. The 'right to housing' should not mean the government should bail out all those who fail to house themselves.

The old fashioned nature of 'council housing' had a lot to recommend it. A landlord with a commitment to providing decent accommodation for people with low incomes is a 'good thing' in society. If those people default on their rents, cause a nuisance or otherwise misbehave then they should be booted out. Give everyone a chance - but if they blow it then the chance should be withdrawn. That doesn't lead to teenage pregnancies - it's sex that does that (and you ain't going to stop that in a hurry!)
I'm not really talking about teenage pregnancies. That will always be a fact of life. I'm talking about people like me who wouldn't bring children into the world unless I could guarantee them a good school, housing and a generally good quality of life. Our current plan is for P (with some cash contribution from me) to sell his place in London and buy a nice semi in Petts Wood in the next year or two, where the Catholic primary school is outstanding in all respects and many pupils secure a place at St. Olave's grammar which in turn has a 32% Oxbridge hit rate. I plan to have my first child whilst studying at London law school ... at that point I will be 33-34 and P will be in his forties. We may have another child but the chances are, we will only be able to afford one. If we had been handed a council house like my grandad's ... a three bedroom semi in a beautiful Surrey Village (Pyrford) we may have had three kids already! There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that young people are delaying starting families and having smaller families because of living costs. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Social housing is going to become a major issue in the next few years. Repossesion's going to make it worse. A small area near me has a stock of only 7,000 properties, both council owned and housing association. At present there are over 5,500 families on the waiting list. In that area at least two families are living in cars. I also know of a family, mum and dad, both working, stuck in a one bedroom house with three kids. At the weekend they have another two kids from a previous relationship. If they move they'll be poorer, and be pushed right down the list. I sat on a panel for a young offender the other day, he never showed, but he's living in a garage. What will become of him? I was lucky, I only had to wait five years. Where I am you bid for properties, most points wins the house, but you're only allowed three bids a month. I waited until there was about five properties and went for the one in the worst state, knowing that others would go for the better places. The estates not the best but the schools are okay and my road is full of families who have been here years, so it's all nicely kept gardens etc. The government are taking about bailing out the house builders with social housing for employment reasons. While it's needed I can't help resenting it, for year they've made a killing through private properties but when the shit's hit the fan, they'll accept building council houses. Maybe they should give the work to the smaller companies. Craig
"I waited until there was about five properties and went for the one in the worst state, knowing that others would go for the better places." I employed a similar strategy. We have a banding system rather than points. I was on Band 3 for medical reasons. Band 4 have no hope of getting anything, Band 3 get the grottier dwellings, Band 2 get semi-reasonable and Band 1 have the pick. You can make 1 bid per week. I went for a grotty estate that I knew Band 1 and 2 wouldn't want but was being demolished and I only had to wait 8 months on the housing list. I realised that tenants who are moved as part of a redevelopment scheme get either a new Housing Association property or are put in Band 1 to choose another place. I also ensured I went for the first building in phase 1 of the redevelopment so I'd be rehoused soonest. So after a three year stint on the estate (and I am more than halfway through!) I will be rehoused to a nice flat or even house in a much nicer area. Life on the estate has been okay, other than the minor flooding from some idiot leaving their tap on and a rather creative burglar nicking my electronics. I'm blessed with quiet neighbours and I have actually grown rather fond of the sorrowful landscape. I wouldn't send my children to local schools but statistics show GCSE results have improved and are above borough average. I understand the issues about social hosuing raised on this thread but in our borough 80% of people live in social housing as opposed to 20% in the country as a whole. Private housing is needed to redress the balance. I am in favour of encouraging more social housing from housing associations but it should be an intermediate remedial action to clear some of the existing shortage. It shouldn't be a move towards the endless provision of subsidised housing to all who want it. jude

social housing is expanding, although the current credit crunch is making it difficult for housing associations to borrow. The sector itself is going through a series of mergers, as the big players, known as G15 gobble up smaller organisations. I'm not sure it's a good thing, I have worked at a couple of the large Housing associations, and they lose contact with their tenants, development becomes key, and once built, they move on to the next development, and do not particularly care about housing management of that scheme.
I like the idea of tenant managed co-operatives like the Oxo Tower wharf. I also like the idea of tenants being able to buy shares in their co-operative so in a communal sense and a management sense they do 'own' their homes. I think this kind of thing is quite common in Germany. I think one of the problems with new build is that they are popular so with choice based lettings, homes will go to those highest up the housing list who are more likely to have multiple social problems. This can cause friction with the leaseholders in the same development. Housing associations should interview prospective tenants and allocate homes themselves instead of defering to the council. This would ensure more balanced communities. jude

mixed tenure developments is the term in the trade, mixture of social housing, key workers, shared ownership, shared equity, and outright ownership from experience of managing such schemes, they don't work well my theory - mixed tenure evolved in street properties, in my street, properties are about 100 years old, it's a mixture of private rented, owner occupied, council, and housing association properties, with a few hostels thrown in as well. the mixed tenure has evolved, people move in, move out, you get the odd asb issue - across then road from me are two warring families, muslims v jewish - which gets a bit tasty from time to time, but the tenure has evolved over years in new developments - people are dumped in together at once - and the various expectations of people are not met - owner occupiers in these developments in the main, don't have kids, so they get pissed off with the families who do, the families get pissed off with people complaining about the kids - at one award winning (architecture) scheme i managed, owner occupiers were complaining about kids playing in the play area - shocking!!!
Too many people???? Mind you when Mother Nature has her way in the coming century............

our own real estate market is flipping out from closures and price dropping here in america. lowest sales percentage...ever I think. kinda off subject but I've notice clothing trends in at least youth (teen to 20's) are heading back to 70's and 80's styles. trey bizare.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Housing wise, things here are going pretty much the same way. Regarding clothing maybe they're linked and the youth are borrowing their parents old clothes Mike. Let's just hope the 80's doesn't have too much sway. Many people I know are still traumatised by photos of themselves from that particular era. Craig
Woah mikepyro, you noticed the clothing thing too. It's the same here in Ireland; teens and "young adults" are reverting to 80's fashion. It's finally happened, after berating the bad old days for so long, it's decided to hit back where it hurts: our fashion sense. And to a lesser extent the housing market aswell. But please, lets not use the R word.

Can't comment on fashion. The housing market here is slightly different from the US, in that in the US there's lots of space and housing is generally cheaper. I think the US is experiencing more of a collapse in demand due to market pressures. We don't have a collapse in demand, we just have soaring costs in terms of the borrowing that people need to buy places.

I've always wanted to wear parachute pants...

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

"I feel so lucky to be out of all this. .." Well, as secure council tenant I'm out of it too. And my better half bought his house when they were cheap as ninepence and has a tiny mortgage on it so he's going to take advantage of the coming slump to trade up to the nice Petts wood semi but I feel sorry for my younger brothers , all bright young well paid professionals (or will be after graduation) who are priced out. The problem is as Buk points out, space but also planning restrictions. But those restrictions are necessary. When we move to Petts Wood I shall be joining the residents association whose main task is to try to block developers getting their hands on Petts Wood Land for private housing, which would destroy the character of the village and put too much pressure on the currently 'outstanding' schools. Having grown up in a nice mid-sized commuter town that was totally ruined by the expansion of a private housing estate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldsworth_Park) I think there is a need to protect the character of towns and villages. I completely confess to being a NIMBY. So the solution should be more new towns with supporting infrastructure and perhaps less people. I am not going to go back to wearing glittery leggings though. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I do realise you weren't implying that you don't care about others. I was just trying to emphasise that it is a collective problem. No ill feelings intended! New towns should be an expansion of existing small towns which don't have any satellite villages worth preserving. Stevenage, Welwyn Garden City, Letchworth, Milton Keynes ... there must surely be areas similarly suitable for new towns. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I think they're a solution if done well. I wouldn't live in one either given a choice but then again I wouldn't choose to live on the Estate I live in, if money wasn't an issue. It's a means to an end. I consider a successful New Town to be reasonably pleasant with good schools. Goldsworth Park (and I lived on it for 5 years) would have been excellent as a stand alone town. It has a lake, sports facilities, a supermarket, mobile library, church and so on. My gripe is that it spilled over into Horsell Village and didn't have a shopping centre, secondary school or train station of its own piling pressure onto the Woking infrastructure. I remember Woking as a small affluent commuter town. It had a few council housing areas (where both my parents grew up) so it wasn't an exclusive enclave. Sadly, it has been destroyed by this enormous shoebox housing development. Living in a new town may not be as nice as living in a small village but then driving a Metro isn't as nice as driving a Mercedes but not everyone can buy a Merc and nor is it a universal entitlement. I believe New Towns can provide an acceptable standard of living for a person earning the average wage and that's what has been unavailable in the last 5 years of the ridiculous boom. Some of the mistakes of the old new towns can be avoided I would hope! jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Agree about the SE. Government response to this has partly been to try and stimulate business and investment in other towns and cities elsewhere with varying success. But it isn't just about schools and employment... social ties and family are important as you rightly point out. Even if I had a perfect job in Derby, I don't want to live in Derbyshire since all my friends except one in Rotherham have settled in the SE and my family except one brother in Cardiff are also in the SE. In addition, I would want my child(ren) to have a soft RP or the better end of the estuary accent. The only serious consideration I have given to leaving the SE would be to move to Ireland and may apply for training contracts over there as well as here when I graduate. This is for various reasons: because it would be cheaper to fly back to the SE to visit than get a train from a remote part of England and P is Irish so I have friends and inlaws over there already. Ireland has a population just over half that of London so overcrowding isn't such a problem but in 50 years time it will be a different story. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Topic locked