Heat 1 Inspiration Point
HEAT 1 INSPIRATION POINT
Heat 1 of the 2012 Poetry Pentathlon is now open.
For this Heat, Entrants may compose their poem in any form or style of their choosing.
Poems may be no longer than 40 lines.
Below*, there are 5 quotations, from which Entrants may select any one (or combination thereof) as their Inspiration Point.
The deadline for submissions is Midnight BST on Saturday 6th October. Late submissions may be disqualified.
Entrants are reminded that their poem must not have already appeared on the ABCtales.com website and that their authorship must remain anonymous while the Pentathlon is being run.
When ready, poems are to be submitted directly to the Editor via his contact page:
Emails are to be headed: Heat 1 Entry.
The body of the email should consist solely of the Entrant’s name, the poem’s title and the text of the poem itself.
If the Entrant does not wish their poem to be included in the Anthology, they should write the initials ‘NFP’ above the title. (Not For Publication).
Entrants are advised to take care that their poem is carefully proofread before submission as no subsequent corrections or amendments will be allowed.
Above all, please enjoy the Competition.
• Memories are hunting horns / Whose sound dies on the wind. (Guillaume Apollinaire)
• The words of his mouth were softer than butter, having war in his heart: his words were smoother than oil, and yet they be very swords. (Psalm 55)
• It was our own story exactly! He bold as a hawk, she soft as the dawn. (James Thurber)
• We have seen / the moon in lonely alleys make / A grail of laughter of an empty ash can. (Hart Crane)
• Onstage, I make love to twenty-five thousand people, then I go home alone. (Janis Joplin)