Is the Middle Class Dying?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is the Middle Class Dying?

The New York Times reports that Middle Class income has declined by 20% in the last 10 years or so. Part of this decline is due to the importation of foreign workers who are willing to work harder for less pay. Just as women were introduced to the work force because they were willing to work for less pay, minorities are seen in the same way. This has kept middle class wages stagnant or even lowered it.

Now I am not trying to say immigrants are bad or anything like that. If they do the job better, it's better for the corporation. Engineering jobs are being cornered by Asians. Other jobs are being cornered by other minoritites and hopefully this sharpens the saw and makes everyone better at their job.

What I'm questioning is the Middle Class tax burden. If our wages have been cut so much, why must we bear so much of the tax burden? Along with that, our political power has been literally destroyed. Why should we pay so much in taxes?

the question isn't why should we pay so much taxes? The quesion is why should the 0.1 that own the 99% of wealth pay so little? Why should that be considered a good thing?

I completely agree. They've grabbed the power and yet they pay so little in taxes.

They don't sacrifice much like they used to before. Almost no one from the top colleges are required to do military service. Kennedy went to the Navy. I don't buy John Kerry's story of heroism in Vietnam. I think he threw away the medal because he was ashamed of his behavior, not because he believed in hippism or counter-culturalism.

The upperclass often supports Wars and the workingclass fights them. Why? No one even gives the least respect to the military anymore.

By the way,  .1% does not own 99% of the wealth. That figure has been paraded around too much. I'm not quite sure that I know the exact figure, but too many different figures are floating around.