Suggestions

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Suggestions

Hello everyone!

I wonder if this is the right forum for discussing technical stuff... I've just registered and posted my first story, and there were a couple of things that I found a bit annoying. They are quite minor, and it's also possible that I'm doing something wrong, but I thought I would mention them anyway in case someone experiences the same problem or knows a workaround.

First, during the first-time registration there is a small bug in the question about displaying or hiding the real name. Under Netscape, it appears to be possible to select both "display" and "hide" at the same time. Under IE, even if one selects "hide," "display" gets stored. Fortunately, it was easy to fix the problem later through the "My details" option.

Second, after posting the story and having it "approved," I discovered that all the paragraph breaks have mysteriously disappeared. When posting, I simply copied and pasted the text from a Word document, and the breaks were there. I have now added an extra line between the paragraphs, so I hope the text will appear as intended now... after it's checked by the editor again. I am sorry for giving the editor this extra work, and if he/she is reading this, I can assure that there are no changes in the text itself - just the line breaks!

Finally, I don't really see the point in arranging the stories according to the letters of the alphabet, but perhaps I'm missing something important... It would be nice, however, if the site could automatically ignore the articles in the titles, otherwise most of the stories will appear under "A" and "T"!

Again, these are very minor points, and I would like to thank the authors of the site for providing such an excellent opportunity for the writers to share their works!

Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Hi, Apologies for the delay in replying. However, good news is, we've spent the time fixing the first bug you mention. In terms of the second query, if you want a paragraph break, you need to hit return twice - soft paragraph breaks/tabs don't work on our system. Re: the arranging things according to the letters of the alphabet, it's there to help give a starting point to new writers. There seem to be a lot of stories that start with other letters of the alphabet than A and T (151 beginning with B, 155 beginning with C, 151 beginning with D...etc etc etc) - although I can understand entirely what you mean - I'd have thought there was a bias towards stories/poems with 'A' or 'The' starting the title Hope this helps (and glad you like the site - and took the time to post to the discussion board) Cheers Emily
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
I can't get the ABCTales magazine as I live outside the UK and non-UK Body Shops have never heard of it. Wouldn't it be a good idea for each Body Shop to stock a few, even if they're not in an English-speaking country? The Web is, after all, World Wide.
Topic locked