Need Inspiration

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need Inspiration

Hello everyone

Um, I feel a bit of a fraud as I am not a writer at all, but I would like to ask for your help.

I am struggling to find the right words to have inscribed on a present for my fiancee, and wondered whether anyone could point me in the right direction. She has been treated so appallingly in the past yet has come through it as the most loving, unselfish, loyal, caring person I have ever met, and I feel privileged to know her. I would like to have something to this effect or something inspirational inscribed on some jewellery, but just don't know where to begin. Any advice or pointers to other sources would be greatly welcomed.

Sorry to go on, and sorry to use the discussion group in this way, I know it is not the intended purpose.

Thank you

Ian

Ian Berry
Anonymous's picture
Hi Thanks to everyone for your comments; I have now settled on a message, but I'm too embarrassed to let you know what it is! Thanks again Ian
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi Ian, Come on, please don't be so bashful. NOT NOW. Spill the beans, did it work?? Good Luck anyway.
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi Robert, I can't make up my mind whether you were inviting me to write something for you, or were you being sarcastic?? Either way if you give me some details ie how long, what sort of relationship you want etc, I will do my best. You could always try Skeggy otherwise!!!!!!!! Let me know. AJ :>)
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
what sort of relationship do you WANT robert? ... *agog*
Robert
Anonymous's picture
(grovelling slightly) aj, yes unfortunately a sarcasm born of truth... (perking up) well, ivy...
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I get a funny feeling Robert and I have more in common than I first thought!
Robert
Anonymous's picture
fancy a beer?
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Who's buying?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
oh ... it is so like blokes to revert to caveman grunting when a real question of emotional intensity is posed ... *sighs and flounces off* *shopping*
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
awww ian ... i would love to help ... but unfortunately romance and i never see eye to eye ... or walk hand in hand or anything like that ... if i were you i would turn to a good dictionary of quotations ... or else just speak from the heart ... failing those two ... i am sure others on this forum will be better qualified to assist ...
OK, It's back t...
Anonymous's picture
If she's as good as you say I would put 'Will you marry me'
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
oh honestly ... if she is his fiance then he has ALREADY said that ... duuuuuh ....
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Yeah, a bit dumb that. It's getting late, think I'll kick the cat and go to bed.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Love the thighs, sorry I mean sighs (come to think of it they probably go together), I could never resist a good flounce, and what did you buy?
muzzy
Anonymous's picture
Hi Ian heres one for ya you are my zenith look it up in the dictoinary.
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi Ian, Love, Life and Happiness. Hope this helps as you didn't say how large the gift was. AJ :>)
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
a gun ...
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
hmmmmm good point AJ ... hadnt thought of that ... if gift were say elephant sized it would give a lot more scope for inscription than say a mouse sized gift ... i will give this further thought ...
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
You could just give it five stars!
Ian_B
Anonymous's picture
Elephant-sized?! I'm not that generous! Good point though, I was thinking of maybe a bracelet or a pendant, so both suggestions above would fit. Thanks for the offerings so far everyone.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Ian, you can never be too generous to a good woman. If I ever meet one I'll give her the world!
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
think the world's safe there missi
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Oh come on, don't destroy any more of my dreams Ivory!
cousin_hilda
Anonymous's picture
Ey 'up everyone You could always write you are my sunshine my only sunshine or you are my joy? Quite like t' second one mesen like... You are me joy lass..... ehhh...grand ring to it.
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
cousin hilda ... if you dont mind this is a serious and erudite thread on a philosophical and intellectual message board ... so no more of your northern interjections if you dont mind!
Robert
Anonymous's picture
too right ivory, and i for one but for the totally selfish reason set out below would like to return this thread to the theme in which it started. ian, i cannot offer you any help but i can offer you every sympathy, as i too face a similar difficulty. i just wondered whether, seeing as (some!) people were being so helpful to you (ESPECIALLY AJ as we call her), they might consider my plight too. i want to send a birthday card to a very new friend who i quite like, and a lot could hinge on the message i write in it. i thought maybe a blank card with a handwritten poem that i could pretend i'd written myself! any suggestions? something nice and soppy should do the trick. i've tried and tried but just can't find the right words. thanks everyone.
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
robert? how big is the card?
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Robert, try Wendy Cope's birthday message in 'Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis' (can't repeat it here because of copyright but I guess you've probably got the book already)
Topic locked