Math.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Math.

A BBC reporter talked about science and math. A BBC reporter I ask you! It's just plain wrong, maths is short for mathematics, math would be short for mathematic which I cannot find in any dictionary. Louisa Preston (you know who you are!) of BBC London frequently puts a non-existent H in shtreets and spoke of a London bus rowt. Now don't get me wrong - but I'm sure you will - I love the Yanks (tee hee don't the southerners hate being called that)I was brought up alongside them and absorbed their culture.

Why; when Marathon bars changed their name to Snickers I slept easy that night, because that's what they were called on the American base which I lived next to; Brize Norton. Why don't we have Hershey bars over here? Eh, eh? especially the nutty ones. It's plain anti-Americanism that's wot it is. But. And there is a serious side to this rant.
Us Brits (or as the Yanks called us - Blokes)have to distance ourselves from the rampant consumerism of capitalist America which if they continue to follow that path, will suffocate them - and the rest of us. What have they given us? Yep they helped us finish off Hitler - but he managed to bugger his totalitarian ideals by invading Russia first, in wintertime.The fool.
So what has the American dream given us? Well there's McDonalds, (It's singular) Coca Cola, Kentucky Fried Chicken,Lee Harvey Oswald and cheer leaders. Now I would fight to the death to preserve our right to watch skimpily clad young women dance in unison, to exhort their team to win at running very fast and thumping the opponent, so that they can win.

But as I said to my then wife in 1970, capitalism will eat it self. This was before the famous phrase about pop eating itself. I should have copyrighted it. I would have been rich, rich I tell you!! When that huge rock the size of The Isle Of Man falls off the Scilly Isles, and into the sea and producing a tsunami that only the dedicated or terminally stupid surfer would hope to ride, and floods New Yawk about 6 hours later, only then will we see America begin to take notice.

And then China And India.

Mother Nature Rools.

Do you see how grammar is important?

Nahh... They gave us Scrubs and Angelina Jolie... isn't that enough? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)
Well, we can't take all the credit. You fellows from across the pond have given us some great things too: double-decker buses, Monty Python, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, House (Hugh Laurie of course), and those oh-so-funky european police sirens. :D In all seriousness, you Brits are awesome. And for your information I myself say New Yawk, having acquired a New Yawk accent over the years. I also say cawfee (coffee) and daw (door).
Personally I like and value the linguistic differences between "Yanks" and "Brits"... why should they necessarily be a bone of contention? Shouldn't we celebrate our differences? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)
It's not Peaceful.

? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)
i tink you made your point. When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

You can bone your contention all you like Peeps, you filthy perve you. Can I watch?

! pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)
What really winds me up is English people adopting American English. I have no problem with Americans speaking their language which has naturally diverged from ours. It is fine if you are American, but 'gotten' used by an Englishman is just plain wrong. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Topic locked