Self publishing my first book

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Self publishing my first book

I know alot of other authors on here have decided to self publish, this is something that I am considering doing myself. For those of you have done so, do you have any words of advise? Has it worked out well for you?What would you say were the hardest parts were? I am struggling to narrow my poetry down into one clear theme. Maybe I should go the old fashioned way and wait for a commercial publisher to make contact...might be waiting a long time though, huh. What do you think?

I self published Memories of Finedon over six years ago;having interviewed over fifty residents. Five hundred books were sold in under a week; because the book had a market rather than any magic skill of mine. I went on to order another two print runs. I would say that the hardest part, having spent five years gathering the townsfolk stories, was the organisation and preparation. My feeling is now that writers aren't so self reliant on main-stream publishers. It is hard work, great fun but please research the company/printer you use. I would suggest that you look at feedaread site as your best option. You can make things happen, if you are careful, so stop waiting and start doing. Another thought; why not get a collection of poems together using other contributors on this site. Good luck.
Are you sure you need a theme? There is a waiting room full of skeletons waiting for publishers to make contact. Try an ebook first maybe (easy and cheap). You could try to get journals to take something, but I have a nagging theory about that route (they like you to have built the market for your stuff first - saves them any hard work - same for all publishers / broadcasters - don't tell anyone) ;-)

Parson Thru

Topic locked