dying in public

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
dying in public

This is an opportunity to share those death defying moments when you had a near death experience while reading your work in public. I'll start the ball rolling. About twelve years ago I belonged to a writing group, "The Highgate Poets". It felt quite prestigious as you had to be invited to join. I was one of the youngest there and probably the most working class. However before you start labelling me, right or wrongly, as too class conscious, I must add the other 20 or so members were a diverse and smashing bunch of vulnerable poetic types. I always imagined I was an intense individual but amongst this bunch I felt laid back. Every year the group had produced an anthology "Kites", and there was to be a reading at Southgrove in Highgate. The strange thing was I was used to performing in public as a singer songwriter and had got over, so I thought, first night nerves, but this was different, I was terrified! I was third on the bill to read, I had drunk a brandy miniature in a desperate attempt to steady my crumbling spine, all to no avail. I felt like I was literally shaking from head to foot as I read my two poems out, I honestly thought I was going to pass out, why! My parents kindly lied and told me they hadn't noticed my nervousness. One week later a review in the Highgate local paper, describing the evening, mentioned a few poets of promise, I was one of them. However, what slightly spoiled the highlighting of my poetic abilities was after mentioning my name adding, "obviously nervous"! Are there any more of you out there with similar or associated experiences?

P. Ed. Desstel
Anonymous's picture
'White Knuckle Ride' evokes images of people pooping in their pants. Is this what your poetry does to your audience? Do they poop from a great height?
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Ha! Mark, that's good of you to share that. Yeah, I get stage fright at times - I used to engage in performance singing - my voice is awful, but I did it anyway. I was most nervous if I was going to use my guitar to accompany myself - I'd get so scared I couldn't even hold the thing, no less pick the strings - LOL! I'm not too bad with public readings or singing to a cover tape - last night I did 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'. I was at a Karoeke for the first time in years. Well, does Kites have anything to do with that site called Mind Kites? I believe I submitted something there. Carly :-)
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Hi Mark, with regard to your confession about public performance I can tell you from personal experience that the only people who don't suffer from nerves when in front of an audience are either insufferable bores or those that are so conceited they actually feel they are honouring their audience with their prescence. All performers are a bit egotistical, that's why they perform, they want recognition and confirmation of what they perceive as their genius. The performer who is aware of his/her shortcomings is constantly criticising their own abilities and performance and that has the effect of striving for improvements whilst hoping the audience hasn't noticed the flaws in the performance. Unfortunately the sensitive soul can't avoid displaying some of their uncertainties about their performance in the form of nervousness. Far from being too upset about this display you should see it for what it is, the critical self-examination of ones work that helps to improve it.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I did a reading once, that l was soooooo nervous about, I attempted to foolishly calm myself with several bottles of wine. The promotor rang me up later that night (when l was still completely off my head) and couldnt stop laughing. Next day, l was bloody mortified, though now I too find it quite hilarious, in a cringeworthy way. A sober friend of mine that came along with, said it went fine, but as I could barely remember even what l read, I have serious doubts on that front...:o) The review of the reading went thus: (insert - pissed as a rattesque in place of "striking") Liana created quite a stir. Not only in terms of her striking presence but also in the power of her words. By the time that she had finished her set we'd been taken on a little of the white knuckle ride that is Liana's poetic world.
Topic locked