Lewis Carroll

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lewis Carroll

Deal of the century? I just found the complete works of Lewis Caroll (with original illustrations) in a charity shop for £2.50 :) The man was pure genius:

"In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -
For the Snark *was* a Boojum, you see."

Top class stuff!

andrea
Anonymous's picture
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gamble in the wade, All marmsy were the borogroves, etc etc... Or summat like that...guy was on 'o' a lot of the time... Nice find, Primate.
richard
Anonymous's picture
*remembering fondly* the hunting of the snark, and lewis' appropriation of zeno's "tortoise & achilles" filled many a childhood hour of mine. this post reminded me to write a review of one of my most recent book purchases, Hofstadter's book "Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid". published some twenty years ago, and lately released in a new anniversary edition, the author takes caroll's characters and places them among bach and escher in a continuous circle of genius, and uses those idiosyncratic characters to explain theories on propositional calculus, the mathematical theories behind melody and classical music, and also some hairy scary stuff about artificial intelligence and humans as self-referential machines. cheers son!
andrea
Anonymous's picture
..or, as they used to call it in those days, laudanum - him and Queen Vic both...although not necessarily together, you understand...
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Richard - cracking book - I must have re-read this about thirty times, always finding something new and marvellous. I think that Crab Canon is one of my favourite pieces of writing anywhere, a exemplary piece of both style, form and content. Caroll fans might want to try Martin Gardeners Annotated Alice, another fine book and anyone who loves G K Chesterton that much has got to be an outstanding fellow.
richard
Anonymous's picture
Tortoise: I guess there's nothing better for you than walking. Achilles: And it's a perfect day for a walk. I think i'll be walking home soon. Tortoise: That echoes my thoughts. Achilles: So nice to run into you. Tortoise: Why, same to you. Achilles: Good day, Mr. T. still writing an essay. 3000 words an hour isnt bad is it??
Topic locked