Advice needed

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice needed

I wonder if anyone can advise me?

I have been contacted by an editor of a new short story anthology after they saw a story of mine on a website. They have expressed an interest and asked me to contribute. They offer no payment and ask that the authors of the submissions they print pay shipping and handling for a copy of the anthology containing their story. I have checked out their website and I am not sure what to make of them. Can anyone tell me if I am being over cautious or if I am looking a gift-horse in the mouth?

Although I am flattered at the approach, I am a novice when it comes to publishing in print, having only had work published in e-zines. I am reluctant to send off a story I worked hard on to an unknown address with the possibility of never knowing if it is in print unless I shell out my own money to see this. Please can someone tell me if they heard of these collections or if the above is accepted practice...

The website is,

www.cyberwit.net

I am wondering if perhaps they rely on the author buying copies for friends and family as they charge around £15 (lot of money for a paperback) exc S & H.

Alka
Anonymous's picture
Hi, No aim high someseem to have, No light inspired I feel perish'd all alone. I seek to immortalize the poets, Not a petty coin. Only trust, Faith alone Saves us from blast furious. Of suspicions & misunderstanding. But tell me - who will venture to publish new poets? Cyberwit's aim is not earn profit but to publish new poets always in a futile search of a publisher. AlkaEms wrote: > I wonder if anyone can advise me? > > I have been contacted by an editor of a new short story > anthology after they saw a story of mine on a website. They > have expressed an interest and asked me to contribute. They > offer no payment and ask that the authors of the submissions > they print pay shipping and handling for a copy of the > anthology containing their story. I have checked out their > website and I am not sure what to make of them. Can anyone tell > me if I am being over cautious or if I am looking a gift-horse > in the mouth? > > Although I am flattered at the approach, I am a novice when it > comes to publishing in print, having only had work published in > e-zines. I am reluctant to send off a story I worked hard on to > an unknown address with the possibility of never knowing if it > is in print unless I shell out my own money to see this. Please > can someone tell me if they heard of these collections or if > the above is accepted practice... > > The website is, > > www.cyberwit.net > > I am wondering if perhaps they rely on the author buying copies > for friends and family as they charge around £15 (lot of money > for a paperback) exc S & H.
wel
Anonymous's picture
Just a quick note to say Symphonies has arrived, Radha. Many thanks. What an interesting and unusual cover. As always, I am pleased to have my work within its pages.
Patricia
Anonymous's picture
You'll enjoy knowing that Taj Mahal Review was picked up and looked at many times in the display and reception at Shasta College this week. The library was pleased to have its own copy. Best wishes, Patricia
Floriana
Anonymous's picture
Your front cover for SYMPHONIES is my favorite one so far, because I also can play the piano, but with my fingers. It would be amazing to play with one's toes. Thank you for publishing three of my poems. They are printed without any mistakes. As usual, I can tell I will enjoy the whole book. Floriana
Joseph A. Burgo...
Anonymous's picture
I have received a copy of the book SYMPHONIES. I've read a few poems in the book and they are inspiring and well written. I wrote my poem shortly after I received your email message in reference to Symphonies. I changed it a few times here and there and finally I see it in print. Thanks to you and your associates for giving me the opportunity to publish my poems world wide, Thank you again. Joseph A. Burgos, Jr.
Padmore Enyonam...
Anonymous's picture
I want to thank you so much for the books Symphonies. I am so grateful to you for your kindness. The additional book, The Edge of the Metaphor, is equally appreciated. Your sincerity and desire to bring poetry to society is unequalled in all humanity. It is my hope and prayer that you will progress in all dimensions of your industry of publication and become a force in the publishing arena in the nearest future. God bless you and I thank you from the depth of my heart for your gesture. Warm regards Padmore Enyonam Agbemabiese
Ems
Anonymous's picture
I still don't buy it, by the way.
Ems
Anonymous's picture
Forget it - I figured it out, it is a scam.
Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
You could be right...I just went to the site and submitted this poem, written especially for them: there was a cat who was very fat that sat or lay flat on a mat wanting a chat or a pat on his hat but not with a bat and that is that oh drat I think it's safe to say, if that gets accepted, it's a scam. I'll keep you posted!
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
Wow. I like the line 'but not with a bat', Paul. That was a nice sucker punch. I think you've got the meter pretty much down. The laconic charm of the closing stanza - 'oh drat' - stayed with me long after I had finished it. I wonder, have you thought of a title? For me, 'and that / is that', with all its concommitant fatalistic overtones, seemed to be the dominant riff in the poem, so I wonder if it would serve as a title. All in all, a superbly executed piece that will stay with me forever. Incidentally, I am putting together an anthology of some of the best poetry on the planet and your piece has caught my eye. We cannot offer much in the way of payment - aside from lots of free publicity! - but you are of course entitled to a free copy (exc. p & p), and discounted copies (a snip at £25 - 50% of the RRP) for your friends and family! I look forward to hearing from you soon.
John
Anonymous's picture
Cyberwit is genuine and not a scam. You may send your work there with confidence. Quality books are produced by them.Ems wrote: > I wonder if anyone can advise me? > > I have been contacted by an editor of a new short story > anthology after they saw a story of mine on a website. They > have expressed an interest and asked me to contribute. They > offer no payment and ask that the authors of the submissions > they print pay shipping and handling for a copy of the > anthology containing their story. I have checked out their > website and I am not sure what to make of them. Can anyone tell > me if I am being over cautious or if I am looking a gift-horse > in the mouth? > > Although I am flattered at the approach, I am a novice when it > comes to publishing in print, having only had work published in > e-zines. I am reluctant to send off a story I worked hard on to > an unknown address with the possibility of never knowing if it > is in print unless I shell out my own money to see this. Please > can someone tell me if they heard of these collections or if > the above is accepted practice... > > The website is, > > www.cyberwit.net > > I am wondering if perhaps they rely on the author buying copies > for friends and family as they charge around £15 (lot of money > for a paperback) exc S & H.
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
This is the blurb for one of their current books: "The poems included in Symphonies will surely deepen and purify our normal existence. In several poets, we notice a decided opposition between the artist and society. Symphonies shows that the poets have a greater knowledge of life and a more comprehensive soul than a common person. Besides, by a deft use of their power of imagination, the poets are able to unravel the mystery of life, and to reveal uncommonness in the ordinary things of life. The imagery in the poems is clear and delicate. Several poems in Symphonies exalt and widen the spiritual vision, and the aim of such poets seems "to console the afflicted, to add sunshine to daylight by making the happy happier, to teach the young and the gracious of every age to see, to think and feel, and therefore to become more actively and securely virtuous." On the contrary, some of the poets in Symphonies concentrate on the ugliness, pain and violent terrorism in the new millennium. You can see the poet's "hurts were spinal." The Symphonies poets are at their best as literary artist. Many poets in Symphonies seem to follow the advice of T. E. Hulme (1888-1917): "Poetry should restrict itself to the world perceived by the senses, and to the presentation of its themes in a succession of concise, clearly visualized, concrete images accurate in detail and precise in significance." The conscious and deliberate pursuit of hard and dry images and 'vers libre' at times results in obscurity, and this has been avoided by the selected poets of Symphonies." I think it's safe to say that this comes straight out of Chapter 1 of Dr Scam McScammer's Bumper Book of Scams.
Topic locked