"The children of parents...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
"The children of parents...

... who truly love each other, are orphans"

Robert Louis Stevenson, apparently.. i cant find the exact quote, but it's along those lines... but what i want to know is, is it true?

freda
Anonymous's picture
It was like that for me. I don't see my parents often but I rarely feel guilty because they've got each other. And I'm very sensitive around couples, I hate being invited to a gathering where it's all couples. Not that anyone invites me anymore ............ what with my fishnets and huge boots and foul language.
Jay
Anonymous's picture
Can go along with that Liana because being made to feel like that in that beastly home from the age of 2ys all my life I have craved love in any which why I can get it but nobody has ever really wanted it or maybe it was me couldn't give it so still feel I have never! really found it. Got a feeling I have gone away from the question slightly sorry...
Creekend
Anonymous's picture
Interesting one isn't it! I wonder if this view is one that may have changed with time? Speaking personally I have an extremely bad relationship with my sister and it didn't improve when our Father died. I also have no expectations of it improving when my mother eventually pops off either. Although I suspect the quote meant orphaned at birth, probably more common in those days. Why should you get on better with someone because of an accident of birth?
Liana
Anonymous's picture
well i took it to mean that they never get a look in, because the most important people in the world to the parents, are each other... the children become secondary to their affections...
Creekend
Anonymous's picture
Yes I see your point it is a sen.....tence isn't it! Can't comment as my parents were at it like cat and dog most of my family life!
Tollam
Anonymous's picture
Bugger! Freda - I thought you didn't like foul language? Confused and hungover. Ditto with bells on for my home-life as well. Nothing screws you quicker and with more scar-ability than fucked-up families. Anyway, onwards and upwards...erm...sort of. Freda, don't stress about invites to couple gatherings...most couples i know are miserable and feel uncomfortable around us free n' easy...let me re-phrase that...free n' happy(ish) types. I hate to sound so crap and girly but...aka Bridget Jones "smug married people syndrome". Just enjoy your freedom and what life has to offer! [%sig%]
Topic locked