Is this a good site for first time writers

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is this a good site for first time writers

I have of course been writing for sometime but I am just starting to learn the ropes of actually putting what I write out there. I was wondering if this is a good site to start on for a newbie like myself. I was also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve your writing skills. I haven't put alot of content in, but I am hoping to in the future.

Julie
Anonymous's picture
Hi Everyone! reading your replies to snowman36 has certainly helped me because i am in the same situation. Is there any site that anyone can recommend for short story publication where i can get feedback on the standard of my writing? i wrote a few poems and short stories but panics everytime i attempt to send them out.... Thank you for your help in advance!
maxwell eddison
Anonymous's picture
biatch, teacher, apple, good girl, bunghole, lickety-split.
thesnowman36
Anonymous's picture
...come again....
emily yaffle
Anonymous's picture
The hardest and most important step in improving your writing is showing it to someone who doesn't know you (friends and family will just coo, but not tell you anything useful) This site, and a lot of other writing websites allow you to do that. Hopefully you'll get some feedback on your work. If there is a story or poem that you want some feedback on, and you ask nicely in the Discuss Writing from abctales forum, you will probably get some. Tips for improving your chances of getting feedback :- 1. Read other people's writing first and comment on that. 2. Read through your own piece carefully - if it contains spelling errors or misplaced apostrophes in the first paragraph, readers will probably feel that you've not at the point yet where you need feedback - the piece ought to feel quite polished. 3. Be polite in your request. 4. Be specific in your request if you can - for example "I've written this piece and I'm stuck with it now, because I don't feel like the character of Mrs Harigan really comes to life. Can anyone make any suggestions?" - that tells people that you're genuinely looking for feedback to help you improve the piece, rather than just kisses for your ego. 5. Be polite when accepting the feedback. It's not actually your child, it's a piece of writing. It's not actually you, it's a piece of writing. Not everything that people say about your work will be right, not every suggestion made will be one you want to adopt - but people have taken time out to read your piece and think about it. If you disagree with everything they've said, at least thank them for their time and ideas. Don't change a piece just because people make suggestions, but think about whether it might improve it. Maybe even save the existing version and then play about with some changes. Remember, the best writers in the world change their stories from the first draft, generally as a result of feedback from people who've commented on it after reading it. There is no shame in it. Hope this helps, Snowman.
thesnowman36
Anonymous's picture
Thank you very much, that was very helpful. :)
Topic locked