Bank Charges.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bank Charges.

Has anyone attempted to claim back bank charges yet? My wife's friend has claimed back just under £1000 recently in an out-of-court settlement. Apparently, charges are not proportionate and can be re-claimed.

I found a site here if anyone is interested: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/saving-and-banking/article.html?in_article_...

I wonder, if this practice is unlawful, why banks are still getting away with it.

I expect they're getting away with it because they can, Yan. Spread the word! ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Join the crusade! Don't let them do you one!! There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

I just excitedly told my girlfriend and she said, "oh, I already knew"... she gets all her info on such things from this webbie... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

from what I've heard the banks are so aware that they're in the wrong that there hasn't even been a court referral yet. The revolution is young. I believe that ppl should pounce before they wriggle their way out. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

What I find extraordinary is that Citibank in the UK charges extra for services which are free elsewhere in the world and actually cost them less. For example, customers must pay for email alerts. It is not possible to eliminate paper statements, but for a few hundred pounds they will hold your monthly statements and only send them once per year or some such nonesense. Jaw dropping idiocy. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
No online banking with them I assume. I went paper-free with halifax recently. I've requested a charges run-down for the past 6 years (that's as far back as you can claim) and now it's up to me to note down any charges which aren't proportionate to actual time/money spent, eg. penalties! I was being charged £30 everytime I missed a debit, put my account 1p in the red, etc. The you have send a letter to your local bank. There are templates on the site menttioned above (and others). As I said, noone has gone as far as court with this yet because the banks know they're in the crap. You either get a slow response informing you that thei looking into it or you get an offer for re-fund. One of the conditions of the re-fund is that you normally have you account closed (petty i know) so you should have an alt. a/c set up. If it go's as far as filling out a court questionaire then fill it in and send a copy to the bank who will then, with the knowledge that you are serious, offer you refund. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

Yes, the bank will often pay up because you turn out to be the sort of customer they don't want anyway, but bear in mind that, should you take it to court and the bank don't capitulate, you run the risk that the charges might not be seen to be disproportionate in which case you have a big bill, so make sure it's in line with other successful claims if possible.
Why would you be the sort of customer they don't want anyway? Because you're re-claiming money that is rightfully yours? says alot about the type of customer they DO want. There have been 2 known court cases to date and on both occasions the banks didn't show. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

Citibank offers online banking but they refuse to eliminate the paper statements. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
Topic locked