Plays written in Televison format

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Plays written in Televison format

Is it possible to post a play that is written in television format as the first time I tried to post a sketch in its original format it didn't work so had to adjust it? Don't think I want to do that for what I had in mind. Six to eight thirty minute episodes posted in scenes of roughly 1000 to 2000 words.

Moya, I have no idea what you mean by this. But would love to see it on here. Please post if you can.

Hello Joe, It seems from what Trev says that it would be a mammoth task however I may be able to email you a piece as an attachment if that would help. Moya

Hi Moya. Anything in script form, be it a play for TV, Cinema, Stage, or even comics, is an absolute formatting nightmare on here. It never comes out right (as per your submitted layout) and it's a lot of hard work adjusting it all to get it back into format. I've done a few, but I wonder if it's worth the effort. Personally I don't think you ought to worry about it on here, unless you're hoping that a Television Drama producer or someone of that ilk, is searching for new talent and trawling through the archives, then yes, go ahead. I do wish something could be done about formatting, there are a number of issues that should be addressed even leaving aside the laborious process of formatting for italics and bold type, but particularly with paragraphing, double spacing, indenting, etc. I'm not too technically minded, but I cannot imagine it's too much of a problem to sort out in this age of wizardry FOOTSIE!? Are you there? In the meantime, to avoid tearing your hair out, I would only worry about the scripts you submit to BBC, ITV, or whatever. I attempted to adapt a couple of H E Bates's short stories for TV to post on here and though I finally got there, I nearly went insane in the interim. By the way, Moya, many thanks for all your comments on my stories over the last couple of days. I did pop over to look round your back yard yesterday but there was nothing new from you. I'd like to read some more of yours so if there is anything you'd particularly like me to read that I haven't already from your backlist, let me know and I will gladly oblige. Trev

TVR

Hello Trev, Yes I rather thought it might be too difficult as I tried once before. I wasn't thinking it might get seen by a TV producer it's just that it is sitting here gathering dust. It is the full episodes of 'Checkout' from which I just took the tea shop scenes and adjusted them to suit this site. But mostly the pieces I put up here are the minor characters, apart from the twins, and I would like to see what people thought of complete episodes although I would probably just put up one scene per day. Unfortunately I finished six episodes just as Sky put up Trolleyed but I still think "Checkout", the full episodes, has got something. I must say, Trev, you're a glutton for punishment because I am quite sure I will find something for you to cast your eye over. Moya

Hello Trev, Actually there are two pieces I would like you to read. They are both from back in Feb 2012 and I would value your opinion on them. Names and Their Importance in Literature and A Mother's Advice to her Daughter. I think it was the first one that did go story of the week although it doesn't say it now. Moya

Okay darls, I'll take a look at those for you. I fancy a good read this weekend. Happy Easter by the way. Trev

TVR

It's something I'd sure like to see, Moya. I hope it works out. Maybe you could do a video where you played all the parts? lol. I actually thought about doing something like that for the York event. I would play Craven AND Betty. I would just keep switching from wig to fedora. But I couldn't nail down the Betty voice. I wish you the best of luck with the television script. If it's anything like your Checkout pieces it's sure to be a hit. Rich

Hello Rich, The 'Checkout' pieces I have posted to this site were lifted from the full episodes as apart from the twins all the others were just minor characters. Just recently I re-read the six episodes and it made me wonder what people would think of the whole shabang. However if I do decide to put up full episodes posting one scene per day then some of the teashop scenes would have to go up again because they are necessary to the episodes and to the whole series. But I am not at all sure I could spend the time adapting the format for that amount of work. Especially as I have now begun to write a wartime play based on the experiences of my husband's large family I am also still writing and directing sketches for the Parkinson Players. At our Christmas meeting a husband and wife performed The Female Menopause, another member did Bedtime Drink and four of us did a teashop scene with bits cobbled together from several pieces I'd posted here. Once again, I've gone on a bit so if you nodded off I quite understand. Moya

Hi Moya, I've tried to format TV plays and theatre plays and I found it very difficult on a computer if you try to follow the typed scripts I've seen. However, I think if you format it in a way that can be followed without actually looking like a formal script, I think it would go down well on here. I'd really be interested to see what you can do. In fact, I rather fancy trying to put one of my efforts in ABC to see how it turns out. Good luck PS: after writing the above I checked out, Checkout. On a brief read, it is easy to follow. I shouldn't worry too much about format on here. perhaps using strong or italics might help for setting the scene Bexley

Hello Bex, I will if you will! No, I am thinking about it but at the moment that's as far as it goes. Moya

Hi Moya, I tried writing up short comedy sketch on ABC format, but I posted it in stories .... might have been a mistake. I don't think most people tune into reading scripts. An aquired taste I think. There are some excellent websites showing original film scripts, really interesting stuff. I especially like this one: http://sfy.ru/