Australian Rising Inflection

1 post / 0 new
Australian Rising Inflection

This is someting that has got on my wick for many a year and I felt it meant that people who used it were not quite sure of what they were imparting. As in the people who end every sentence with "do you know what I mean?" Well they don't, they contract it to junowoh'mean? Or the cockneys - "nardamean?" Now it's been confirmed by this article I found in The Guardian so it must be true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Australians have long known the value of adding an upward inflection to the ends of our sentences. It makes everything sound a bit like a question, doesn't it?

The "high-rising terminal" (or the Australian Question Intonation, if you want to get all racial about it) is getting a bad rap in Britain, though: 85% of managers surveyed by UK firm Pearson found the trait "a
clear indicator of a person's insecurity or emotional weakness".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also would like (sic) to remove 'like' and 'actually' from everyday speech as in my cleaner's daughter who's a bright as a button ten year old girl say: "actually I was like talking to my friend Jasmine - actually."  I refrained from asking her 'what is 'like' talking to a friend?' 'If you are not actually talking what is the alternative?' I know that a lot of you will have your pet peeves, Apart from text speak and the contraflation of America-speak as in "what's up with you?" "Oh the yooz!" It did take a few seconds to understand what the person meant. I know that Tony's is 'gotten' but it's a ME word that our American compadre's brought back into usage.