internet charges

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
internet charges

apologies for the dullest thread title yet, but my phone bill arrived the other day. i haven't opened it, but it is sealed in an ominous and special extra large envelope

is there a clever person who can please explain to me in simple language, cheaper ways to use the internet for hours on end?

[i know of another technophobe who is even considering Not Looking at the ABC Forums...*shudder*]

David Taub (aka...
Anonymous's picture
Although I am in the US, my webmaster is in the UK... I think he can help you.. Email Jwhittaker@aol.com (Jeremy Whittaker)
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Andrew, why dont you switch to a single fee isp? NTL and AOL both provide 24-7 access for a fee....l pay 9.99 a month for example, and l think AOHell is about the same. BT do something similar also. Hope this helps.
Jake Kane
Anonymous's picture
Freeserve do a similar thing for 14.99
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
do those fees include free phone calls? my isp is free for unlimited access but I still have to pay for calls. was thinking of switching to the bt package but you only get 1hr of constant use before charges kick in and so have to remember to come offline and reconnect. I registered 6 months ago for ADSL (wideband) but I think I will be retired b4 that rolls out to me. am currently checking out cable. is that your ntl one andrea? for £20 a month you get two lines, unlimited access plus all the tv crap. for another £20 you get a cable modem, have unlimited free calls on wideband and it's always connected. no more dial ups and access at speeds 10times faster than the v90 modem. I think. is anyone else on this system? is it any good?
Jake Kane
Anonymous's picture
I just pay £15 a month to NTL and get free ISP access and the time connected is free (you don't pay for the phone calls to that numbe). You also get £15 worth of free calls per month, and the prices are better than BT.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
I pay 99 guilders guilders a month (can't work out what that is in your dosh - slightly less than 30 quid I think), have access 24 hours a day, can leave the thing on day and night if I want, no phone bills, flat rate, fast access. Here we have 3 choices... 1. Same connection as phone, which means you're engaged when online and pay local phone rates. 2.Second cable, not engaged when online but still have to pay phone costs (which can be astronomical if you're on the thing as long as I am)...or 3. Flat rate, no phone bills etc (see above). 1 and 2 are ok if you only use pc half an hour or so a week...with 2 having the added advantage of being able to use phone at same time. Most people find 3 the most economical choice. Which means, Stormy (re-reading above), that it's a helluva lot cheaper here (40 quid being about 150 guilders)!
stormy duller t...
Anonymous's picture
Hmm. ta jake. will have to persue this. Andrea? .... got a spare room?
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Stormy - Im on NTL, same as you, and l dont pay for the phone call to my isp. I pay just the flat rate each month - If I were you I'd give NTL a ring, and get them to send you out details of all their different packages. I'd be appalled if I was still opening HUGE phone bills...havent done that for over a year now. I didnt think that anyone paid (unecessarily) for the phone to isp connection anymore...
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Liana, I'm still with BT. The ntl bit above is probably my server routing me on through cable. looks like I'll have to change.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Much as I loathe BT, they do a thing that is about £7 a month for free usage between 6pm and 8am and all weekend. So that is not too bad and is probably easier than changing. It is called Surf-Time. Free plug for BT over. And nobody had better expect me to plug Barclays.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
They also do one called BT anytime...24-7 So Andrew...why arent you on that then?
Topic locked