Writing a play...

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing a play...

The title is pretty self explanatory I think.. I typically couldn't think of a decent plot so I'm writing my own version of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (it seems to me to be a bit like blasphemy.. I am terrified I will not do justice to this wonderful play) but anyway, I have two questions:
1) If I am setting it in modern day London, should I keep the original characters names or should I change them?
2) I have got up to the bit where Titania says "What angel wakes me from my flowery bed?" and I don't know what to write next! Should I just keep that line in my play (even though it would be inaccurate since she is in the Euston Tavern and not a "flowery bed")
any ideas?????

keshia
Anonymous's picture
well i think that you should keep it like that . i also think that you are going to write a good story.
keshia
Anonymous's picture
i am wwriting a play on raise in the sun. i think it is a good book. i have to write a play from 10 years from now. i need some tips on it. what should i do about the play.
writersblock
Anonymous's picture
If you are putting it in a modern setting, then that answers your question; you should modernise it.
writersblock
Anonymous's picture
One of the funniest things I've ever done resulted from listening to a conversation on a bus... I was coming back from some event; which one escapes me at the moment, but I do remember I was on the 192 bus, which goes from the suburbs of Stockport to Manchester city centre. Anyway, the thing was heaving, almost full, and I was upstairs sitting next to a window when three Germans get on the bus. Students 'doing Europe' I assume, and the free seats being limited, one sits in front of me, one across the aisle and one on the seat next to me. So, we are crawling along through the Saturday afternoon traffic, and with little else to do, I start evesdropping on the conversation of these three, who are obviously under the impression that they can say what they like about people on the bus as no-one will understand them. Their conversation started innocently enough, with them pointing out how attractive an old church was which we passed, but then degenerated into a real slagging off session of many of the people on the bus. Eventually my stop arrives and in order to get off, I obviously have to get past the person sat alongside the aisle: "Entschuldigen Sie mich bitte," I ask politely. Well, you've never seen three people go so white in such a short space of time in your life. Very funny.
Kerry
Anonymous's picture
I think you should do whatever you want. Change the names if you are changing the play. Keep flowery beds and just have a flower bedspread. I hope it helps!
Hox
Anonymous's picture
I would change the names to those of people I know who might fit the characters in the play. I do that in my head sometimes when reading Shakespeare or other "classics". It can be hilarious - well, to me anyway, but then I'm a sad git.
sumone
Anonymous's picture
me and my friends have to write a play with 7 or more characters for our ELA final. our group has all girls so NO guy parts please. you no any plays that fits that descripion??
Maxwell Eddison
Anonymous's picture
put some music in it. Take some of the lines, and make some songs out of them
julia
Anonymous's picture
Dear writers,my club is putting on a play.And Ineed tips.THANKS,JULIA [%sig%]
jeanette
Anonymous's picture
hey! a play is a part of thing that u can exprise about us
d.beswetherick
Anonymous's picture
Deborah Wright's novel "The Rebel Fairy" updates "A Midsummer Night's Dream" to modern London. She has the fairies living in Regent's Park, and the lovers in Primrose Hill. She changes some of the names and not others. It works, I think.
jay
Anonymous's picture
Does anyone have any tips on how to write a play? [%sig%]
Ashley
Anonymous's picture
I have to write a one-act play for one of my classes and I am in dire need of ideas for this. They want it to have conflict and it can be real or imaginary. I am not good at this kind of stuff and I wondered if someone could lend me some ideas for a play, I know everyone says to go from real life experiences and write from that but I cant do that. If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful!
Topic locked