Reccy

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reccy

Who's young? Does anyone say reccy anymore? As in, he took a reccy. (That is reccy as in reconnaissance, in case it really is old hat. That is old hat, as in old fashioned...)

Is that a 'no' or are you really all old? Ok. Does anyone know anyone who's young? You do? Fab. Well, have you ever heard any of them say 'reccy'...
I find it unlikely as 'reccy' comes from 'Reconnaissance'. Possibly common when young folks were involved in various military related activities, probably not now. It's a word I attach to men of a certain age in slip on shoes.

Oh - dash it all! Thought it might be. Darned if I know why I put it in - just popped into my head as I was dusting the bakerlite...
According to my fab Oxford Talking Dictionary the word is spelt recce and it does indeed come from reconnaissance and also reconnoitre. It is, I think, a word that is most commonly heard in old black and white British war films, usually uttered by gentlemen with handlebar moustaches or dashing young men with floppy hair and flying jackets.
* crackle crackle * Roger Recce Foxy Over * crackle crackle *
I say 2Lou, watch out there's bandits at three o clock... I'll take a recce and see if I can surprise the bounders. over *crackle bzzttt*
I attach it more to men trying to find quiet spots for picnics, trying to impress assembled friends and their spouses. "I'll just have a recce over this fence, see if I can't find us a good spot." A cross between Terry Thomas and Terry Scott. Cow pat, bull, wasp sting, angry farmer, canoodling couple in haystack all probable results of recce. Much double speed chase, spousal embarrassment, inadvertant trouser removal to follow. Cheers, Mark Brown, Editor, www.ABCtales.com

Topic locked