Oh Holy Night by Fergal

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh Holy Night by Fergal

I had promised myself that I was going to stop flagging new pieces but this is so special... It manages to take God out of the churches and put Him back where He belongs.
Wonderful, Fergal.

http://www.abctales.com/fergal/oh_holy_night

I totally agree, this piece just kept getting better and better as it went on, and for a short story it developed really well! great!
M For recommending such a well written and hauntingly beautiful story. j

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. Somehow I get the feeling that these recent stories aren't stories at all, but practice pieces, part of something else that could be bigger. Also they are much less weird, less bizarre. Is this a conscious thing?

I don't know what they are - they aren't really stories, more sort of flashes of lives, of thoughts I've had - they are what I keep coming up with when I get my alloted hour at the library... I guess they are much less weird, but still as individual I hope - still obviously 'mine'... It isn't conscious as such, just trying things out. I am still nowhere near finding a genuine voice as I seem to have so many. I do like this story a lot though. Am pleased with it. It seems real somehow, whatever that means, and magical and sad and hopeful - all the things I like to write about. Thanks for flagging it up. And the cherry.
I don't know what they are - they aren't really stories, more sort of flashes of lives, of thoughts I've had - they are what I keep coming up with when I get my alloted hour at the library... I guess they are much less weird, but still as individual I hope - still obviously 'mine'... It isn't conscious as such, just trying things out. I am still nowhere near finding a genuine voice as I seem to have so many. I do like this story a lot though. Am pleased with it. It seems real somehow, whatever that means, and magical and sad and hopeful - all the things I like to write about. Thanks for flagging it up. And the cherry.
ha ha - I didn't mean to post so many times. Sorry about that.
Well, I didn't mean that they weren' t as good. That's what they are, flashes of lives, experiments at finding a voice. It's probably good not to pin yourself down to one thing. I often get bored of doing the same voice again and again - so I have several - the Down By Law ones, the Penguin Variations, and the short stories.

phew, what a blinder! Truly stunning! span
Thoroughly enjoyed your story, Fergal. You are brilliant and certainly have a voice. Of course, you can speak in different tongues...

I loved this. Got a clear mental picture of the whimsical tree that has lasted all day. Also loved the 'pace' I guess and lines such as: 'Not that I was looking for signs. I was just looking out of the window.'
Enzo
Anonymous's picture
Ferg What a treat. This is absolutely marvellous. Like others have said above, it starts excellently and gets better and better. Thanks! Ben
Great stuff! Really enjoyed it. It does build very nicely and the protagonist is very intriguing in a non-annoying way. Super. Joe
Topic locked