Truth and lies

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Truth and lies

Firstly hello - I'm new, ABC was recommended to me via word of mouth and I just wanted to say I like the open, something-for-everyone feel to the site.

Now this is probably because I haven't been writing for long, but I was wondering what people thought of the 'write about what you know, but change it' aproach. In my case, when I write a story (fiction) based on personal experiences the result can feel *uncomfortable*, even if it's about a harmless everyday subject or mood. I guess in this instance I feel like I've either exposed too much of myself, or just plain cheated. I don't know if this is due to inexperience or cowardice or if it even matters, but I just thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts about the reality/ fiction boundary and blurrings...

Scout

Foster
Anonymous's picture
Welcome, Scout. I think most (not all) fiction has an autobiographical tint – this is difficult to avoid. I can be found in every story I write. I don’t think this is cheating, but if it is, I’m guilty as can be. As for the overexposure, whether it’s about you, or just something that came from you, the risks are still high. I think you’ll find it gets easier with time. I look forward to reading your stories, fiction or not. Foster.
When I went to one of my first creative writing classes many moons ago the tutor said to me, "Write about what you know". Me being the smartarse that I am replied, "But I know nothing". "Write about that then!" he replied, and turned away. So I do.

Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Welcome, Scout. Foster is right; I think it does get easier with time to put more and more personal experiences in, whether abstractly or directly. I think generally with time, confidence grows and with it the ability to think 'I'll say whatever I damn well please!' Is taknig things from life and putting them into fiction cheating? Nah. Par for the course, and, in some cases, a real skill. Hope you enjoy ABCtales!
Welcome to the site Scout, I agree with all that's been said, don't worry about the inexperience it will come. nobody
The inexperience will come?

I wonder about this a lot, particuarly about the sort of Hemmingway-esque idea that you have to have lived it to write it. This is demonstrably untrue (Orwell never had a videoscreen in his bedroom, Milton never went to hell, Shakespeare never killed Julius Ceaser etc), although I suspect you would have to have lived something like what Hemmingway lived in order to write what he wrote. You can still sit on your arse for fifty years and then write a perfectly decent book. What it boils down to I think is a sort of universality of human experience. If you've ever had your car blow up you'll know what it's like for a Mongolian gurt hurder when his camel contracts hookworm and dies (or something). Everyone gets fed up with their parents, falls in love with the wrong person, gets wrongly imprisoned, finds a hidden treasure, and uses it to wreak their revenge. The rest is just research,

Oh, and welcome to the site.

What the Sam Hill is a Mogolian gurt hurder?
What the Sam Hill is a Mongolian gurt hurder?
ha, ha! Oops! A 'Mogolian' gurt hurder is even more mysterious than a MoNgolian gurt hurder.. *blushes*
A gurt hurder from Mongolia. Obviously.

Welcome, Scout.
Watcha, Scout. Think it's best to look at 'write what you know' as a helpful prompt to get your started, rather than any kind of rule to guide you. If you try and write seriously about something you've never experienced, it'll likely be a slow, awkward process, as you collate facts and ponder realism. Starting with your own experience is just easier - you can pick incidental detail out of your memory,and have an inherent understanding of the emotional stakes.
Hiya and welcome Scout. I tend to agree with Jack Cade here - "what you know" means that you can concentrate on the writing and you don't have to worry too much about research or trying to be objective, just getting those first things down coherently and believably is so valuable. You don't have to make it 100% factual, a good story's a good story irrespective of whether or not it really happened.
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Yes, this is what I meant. When I say I can be found in my stories, I'm referring to the characters doing things I might do, or say. There's always someone loosely based on myself, but my life isn't nearly interesting enough for a literal account. Putting yourself in your stories will make them more believable - but that doesn't mean they have to be straight autobiographies. And besides, unless the reader knows you very well, they'll never know the difference.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone:) Have read the above comments and find them very reassuring as well as very interesting. I'm glad it gets easier with time, and that it's not cheating (lol), and also the slow, awkward progress of attempting the new is still daunting but I guess is another opprtunity to learn and improve from the results... Scout
Welcome to ABC from me also, Scout! Re writing what you know, I think the trick is to adapt what you know to different contexts. Personally I like to inject normal stuff with weirdness. I think of the small stuff I've wondered, pondered or felt and make it bigger. I love to play the "What if?" game. I experience something pretty mundane and it sets off a train of thought along the lines of "What if you could borrow not only books but time machines from the library?"... and suchlike. Anyway, that's me. :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Thanks Pepsoid. And re: injecting the mundane with the downright bizarre, that's a great idea... And the other way round too maybe, like the way Adams did in the Hitchhiker books (thinking of the bits about the importance of an ordinary towel while travelling through the universe - class!) Scout
Adams!... Ace!... Towels!... My Hero! :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked