Literary Sulk

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Literary Sulk

What do you do on the days when you look at the stuff you’ve written and decide it’s unadulterated crap – that the whole premise of the story is flawed, that the plot’s screwed and that the characters are lame, two-dimensional caricatures?

If I edit any of it in this mood, I’m going to be left with three words and a title. Actually, I’m not that keen on the title.

I’m clinging on to the fact that a single reader at an editorial service praised the first few chapters. I’m now beginning to suspect she was on drugs.

Anybody out there in a similar situation? I could do with the company…

Hi, Lou! :-) Naming no names, but I have just had someone to whom I sent some stories say... I can see what you're trying to do, but sorry to say it but I think you've got a little while to go before you're at Bruce Robinson or Beckett stage. ... which is probably true, but he could've worn a softer glove! Not quite the same, but does it entitle me to honorary membership of your "I Feel Crap About My Writing Today" club? :-/ (PS. who's Bruce Robinson?) pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

I haven't dared look at the ms today... still sulking. I have a virtual cat here if you feel like kicking it. Although I think the George Bush screensaver works just as well. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
I like to try something completely different when I get stuck. For instance, Lou, I was wondering if you're still accepting submissions for FabMo?
I am indeed, 4G and you would be the first – I repeat FIRST – person to offer… *scowls at other abcers.* Slight snag is, our website designer guy is temporarily out of the business, so until Dave (husband) gets the site transferred over to us and perfects his Dreamweaver skills, there’s going to be a long delay in getting any new articles up – which is a shame because it’s in danger of becoming a cobweb site at the moment. But still, please feel free to submit anyway, I’d be very grateful for the input. Lou x ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Very much with you, Lou. I was on a roll for months with a certain project... and then it hit the skids, and I've been feeling wretched and superfluous to the world for months! There are three ways around it that usually work for me. Firstly, don't worry if it's crap. It's first draft. No one else is going to read it. Get it writ - THEN get it right. Secondly, put it away, forget it and do something else. The unconscious has funny ways of feeding you the right information if you give it time. Thirdly... well, that's in a topic I've just posted in this forum: Fiction writing v Script writing. It may not work for you... but oddly, it usually seems to work for me. PS Have you read Anne Lamott's 'Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life'? If not, do get a copy. Not a 'How To' guide so much as an inspiration. It keeps me going in my lowest points. Check it out on Amazon. I won't post the link 'cos it's too long. As one critic said: "This book is a very true portrait of what your inner life is like if you are a writer, how the writer's mind really works and what it is really like to try and live this way."
Hi Alan Thanks for that. It’s comforting to know you’ve been hitting the skids too (how mean am I?) because I *know* you can write, so if you feel wretched and superfluous… Anyhow, having left it for a couple of days, I’ve had another look. The last bits were indeed crap – but then I wrote them at relative speed (I was getting frustrated with how long it was taking). I usually edit as I go but this time I didn’t, so I think it was just a shock to see so much so badly written. I’ve just got to steel myself for a big edit – and then another and another… I’ve also decided I need to go back and look at the original idea. It’s all been getting rather woolly lately. So, maybe it was a good thing that I stopped to throw my pens out of my pram… Interesting what you said about seeing a story as film. I’m a big fan of that idea. At the very least it can improve the pace. p.s. I’ll have a look at Anne Lamott, ta. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Approach to my work for the last few months: 1) Open the file and scroll through. Change a few words here and there. Close file. 2) Open new file and write list of where I've gone wrong, what I need to do to fix it, how I can accomplish that. 3) Have a coffee, then check ABC. 4) Turn off computer to limit distractions. Sit in armchair with pad and write down a few notes. Read a chapter of whichever book is currently on the go. 5) Satisfied with morning's work, decide on early lunch. 6) Go out and get shopping. 7) Have a nap. 8) Switch on computer, check ABC again, scroll through file again, change a few words here and there. 9) Pop to library, grab books in similar vein to one I'm trying to write, see how THEY did it. Make notes. 10) Dinner. 11) As a treat for a good day's work, get a DVD out and watch it. 12) Open file for last time and scroll through. 13) Check ABC again. 14) Go to bed. 15) Wake up early next morning and dread getting up to go through another day of the same. Sound familiar? I guarantee the Anne Lamott book will quickly become your best friend and comfort blanket, Lou. The chapter entitled 'Shitty First Drafts' is especially encouraging. Tony's now going to tell me off for not bringing this up on Booktribes!
How peculiarly like my own day(s) that sounds... And, when its going a bit shite, or when it feels like that, i remember all the other times it felt like that, and go and do something else. (write, read, walk the dog). Leave it leave it leave it. You can't come back to it 'til you've gone away.
Ha ha - yes that sounds familiar. My particular fave for avoiding writing anything new is, going through and reordering sentences so that they read the exact same way they did three edits ago. Oh, and numerous games of Spider Solitaire. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Ah... I've dumped all the games off my computer for that reason. There's still internet gaming, of course! Do you touch type, Lou? I found learning that to be a good filler-in - and you are writing, at least! I bought one of the Softkey programs for ten quid at Currys or somewhere. Took me about 2 months to work through all the lessons. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I can now hit 60 w.p.m. If only my imagination worked at that rate!
Ah yes, touch typing is about the only thing I can do. I used to be a typesetter and still find typing very theraputic. Odd, innit. Not sure what my typing speed is, but my making-up-stuff-to-write rate is currently running at minus three words a day. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Good job there're the forums to keep us going, eh?
Topic locked