The Old Man and The Sea

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Old Man and The Sea

I've been experimenting with Twitter over the last couple of weeks. This was one of the gems brought to my attention by following Random House.

http://www.openculture.com/2012/04/hemingways_iold_man_and_the_seai_anim...

I'm reading it right now, op. It is the third time I have read it and it always gives me immense pleasure. As an example of simple, great storytelling, it has no equal, except perhaps Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, another book I have read and reread and am also reading again now. These two books, which are really novelettes, are worth their weight in gold and I believe that any aspiring fiction author could do no better than include these in his or her library. The characterization, the dialogue, the sense of time and place, the storytelling and the message that they impart are wonderful. Both books are rich in morals, but are nor moralising or preaching. I cannot speak highly enough of these two books, of Hemingway and Steinbeck and you are right cite The Old Man and the Sea as a gem. It was these two books that inspired me to write most of all and continue to do so which is why I'm reading them again. sue

TVR

Hi sue, I've listened to The Old Man and The Sea audiobook countless times in my car. Beats listening to songs I've heard many times. Still haven't got around to Of Mice and Men yet, but it's on the list.
Both are brilliant books, The Old Man and the Sea being one of my personal favourites to date. Hemingway's rather economical writing style is one that can be learned from by any writer, and I have reread it with that very intention. I totally agree with Sue, it is a book that inspires one to write on. In fact, if i had not read The Old Man, I would probably have given up hope on the continuation of some of my work. Thanks for the link, oldpesky! Steve.
Topic locked