How to make money through Lulu self- publishing; a business idea.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to make money through Lulu self- publishing; a business idea.

How about this?

Publish anthologies of 'out of copyright' writing by big name authors that people want to buy. If the writing is out of copyright then it's in the public domain and it's legal for you to publish it.

If it is the public domain it is freely available to anyone who wants it anyway; or am I missing something?

I can read the complete works of Shakespeare online for free and yet people still buy them in book form. People regularly buy writings that are out of copyright and in the public domain, sometimes at ridiculous prices. I bought a very expensive Penguin paperback of Don Quixote but then thought, "Penguin don't own the rights to Don Quixote. Don Quixote is in the public domain. I've just bought something at a high price that I could read for free. What a con!".

And thereby lies the flaw well-wisher.  

If this was going to work the author would have to 'add value' in terms of insightful editorial supported by well referenced sources.  

Strong literary scholars regularly do this and many of their efforts sink without trace - read only by their own undergraduates because the authors make their own efforts compulsory reading by adding them to the students recommended reading lists.

When I was student I used to read "Wordsworth Classic" Editions of novels because they were only 90p. Other publishers were charging £2.99 or sometimes much more for the same novels. If you don't have alot of money then price is more important than scholarship.