Things we like

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
Things we like

Attempt to learn a little about the contributors, as well as a social experiment as to whether posters are more interested in being enthusiastic and praising or in the other thread "things we don't. "

Getting the ball rolling :-

I love The Sopranos, one of the best television shows of all time. James Gandolfini is absolutely mesmeric and the portrayal of elderly people as malevolent schemers is so different to the usual kindly or feeble view you get. Plus, it is gangsters and like Ray Liotta 'Ever since I can remember, I've wanted to be a gangster'.

I love eating and cooking risotto. There is something utterly wonderful about the mouthfeel of a good risotto, creamy and comforting, with a good smack of vermouth and the sharpness of parmesan.

And I think Frys Chocolate Cream is almost perfection. Just dark enough, light filling, just the right snapping noise and the silver lining of the paper makes it really classy.

mississippi
Anonymous's picture
no ones mentioned me yet! (goes into dark room and cries)
Taj Hayer
Anonymous's picture
Too much to say - and they're always changing anyway.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
dear wystan, i am tremulous with desire for said bonzo dog doo da band.
andrea
Anonymous's picture
Hello, Missus Hippie, you're mentioned...
max
Anonymous's picture
Books - bookshops - libraries music - anything except Trad Jazz early mornings' quiet anybody that makes me laugh white flowers especially wild dasies and snowdrops listening and watching the sea from a secluded clifftop receiving letters the smell of lavendar, vanilla, bergamot, babies intelligent conversation + substantial amounts of red or white reading work on abctales.......it's inspiring!
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Pubs that have good selection on the jukebox. Come to think of it, hardly any pubs have any jukebox at all anymore. I always love inflicting my musical taste on other paying customers - is like being a DJ, but without the record box and adulation. Debaser is always a good jukebox tune to get all the Townies supping up quick and moving on. Bacon sandwiches and radio five on a Saturday. I wish we did have a world cup every year, I'm already starting to panic about a long empty summer. Opening the windows and breathing in petrol (wait, that's not mine.)
Cousin Hilda
Anonymous's picture
coal fires stroking me whippet ;-)
robert
Anonymous's picture
debaser! now there's a song i'd like to hear in the village pub. must have a word with landlord len about that
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
In no specific order: abctales.com massages red wine reading walking happy people movies writing fish Cher
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
So my forthcoming story about romance, loads of alcohol, good music and the smell of vanilla and bergamot should be popular then? Do you know, for writers, we're a suprisingly happy bunch. And for Richard W, (although on other thread) I am aware of Big Star - my all-time favourite record shop was called Radio City.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
ive yet to hear a pub jukebox with anything by the pixies on it, although i have seen "headache" by frank black, which is close
robert
Anonymous's picture
there used to be a pub in brum with the doolittle cd, thus offering the temptation of a pixies medley for a quid (or more adventurously: debaser + monkey gone to heaven + 1 selection from beefheart's shiny beast bat chain puller album as long as it wasn't apes-ma, which was considered bad form)
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
brown puppies black puppies white puppies golden puppies striped puppies spotted puppies pedigree puppies mongrel puppies short-haired puppies long-haired puppies curly-coated puppies flat-coated puppies playful puppies sleeping puppies
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
what i don't like is when i make a corker of a quip and someone doesn't GET it ...
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
You mean that when you said I was WONDERFUL it was a QUIP?!? But just don't touch my puppies, Miss Ivory Fishstick, or I'll get really mad
Cruella d'Fishbone
Anonymous's picture
*just wondering if mandylifeboats likes Cousin Hilda's whippet*
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
Not mad on whippets but anything of Cousin Hilda's is bound to be delectable
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I have an inkling that cousin Hildas whippet is a sight to behold
richardw
Anonymous's picture
must have been a mother of a pub to have pixies AND beefheart in the same jukebox, but if i were a landlord who liked a bit of spontaneous dancing, nothing beats the magic band. i for one couldn't sit in peace with a pint if "sweet sweet bulbs" or "orange claw hammer" came on. best my local has to offer is probably "enola gay" "up the junction" "born in the USA" and "going underground" for a quid. :(
richardw
Anonymous's picture
new things i like: andrew pack cousin hilda's whippet
max
Anonymous's picture
what I really ..really like is when someone has made a corker quip, and then doesn't get it that the person 'quipped' had got it .... and was corker quipping in response..........
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Richard w - am touched. Read your story today, by the way; which I liked a lot. The piece of paper flapping about reminded me of two things :- firstly the short film inside American Beauty of the plastic bag dancing in the wind, which was simple yet very very sad and secondly a line of Virginia Woolf's from The Waves, where one of the characters (rhoda I think), talks about being lost and feeling as though being whipped around, moving through corridors, blown beyond control like a scrap of paper. She puts it much better than I just did, but at least I never filled my cardy pockets with stones...
IFB
Anonymous's picture
things i like part 21 men in cardies
robert
Anonymous's picture
god yes level 42 could ruin anyone's holiday, hope they weren't those video jukeboxes and you had to suffer watching the smug git and his fancy bass-playing i once spent a laddish weekend in london (yes, i know that that's hard to believe), at the time when fine young cannibals were in the charts, murdering the buzzcocks' ever fallen in love. one of our group actually liked it, and by about the tenth pub i was being dared to tip a pint over him...
robert
Anonymous's picture
yes it was a mother of a pub richard! they knocked it down tho and the site is now occupied by An Exclusive Shopping Mall... think if that was my quid i'd go for up the junction + going underground x 3. :-)
andrea
Anonymous's picture
You lot don't know when yer well off. You want to try the bars here in Holland. Apart from the Irish theme pubs, of course - you don't want to try them at all... The Guinness is good for you, though.
e e goings
Anonymous's picture
chim (neys: tUlip,s Bu ffa lobill( :o) /s/p/r/i/n/g/ (ma ny) (be lls) (do wn) .
Auntie Jackanory
Anonymous's picture
Being fictitious
Ms I Sippi
Anonymous's picture
Shark's Finn Soup
Maih Nayum's To...
Anonymous's picture
Cousin Hilda's Cousin Hildy Lou Aih lurve laihn dahncin'. Waiht stillettas. Taiht jayuns. Blouses that taih-up just below maih busum. Boots with spurs. Stirrups. Mud wrastling with Fillipino Box Spring Hawgs. Waiht laihtnin. Kentucky Dried Chickin. Hayunk Wulyams. Elvis. John Wayun. Operah Winfree. Cayjun myusik. Maih dawhtah, Hildy Loubie Lou. Maih Presidant, Geowge Dublya Bursh. Maih countri. Maih western. Achey Breaky Hawt (maih fayvrit). The staws and straihps. Wimmin who stahnd baih theyr mayn. The smell ah napalm in the mawnin'
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Touched a nerve with the jukebox I see - here's what my dream quid is going to get me, preferrably very, very loud. I Bleed- Pixies (or possibly Wave of Mutilation) I am the Resurrection - Stone Roses I know it's Over - The Smiths Waterbugs - The Flaming Lips oh, and it's five songs for a quid, so Money by Jesus Lizard or Crash by the Primitives.
andrea
Anonymous's picture
Jazus! Never 'eard of any of 'em. Must be gettin' old (as one bright spark once said)... (Andrea waits for the inevitable flak)
Taj hay there
Anonymous's picture
Hot dahm! You's one mighty fiiine lady. Thayt kinda claaass is hard to find in these here scrawny pahts.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
thanks andrew, i always get accused of copying that bit from american beauty, even though i wrote it at least a year before the film came out. i must admit that i had read parts of the waves by that time, so i was probably unconsciously informed by it, perhaps unconscious altogether, weighed down by all the stones in my cardy pockets. things i like, addendum: old style phones which make the whir-click noise after every dial. wh audenary
richardw
Anonymous's picture
did i mention girls with really smooth shoulders? and slash neck tops as well?
robert
Anonymous's picture
fantasy jukebox is a cracking idea andrew, but to do it justice i think i would have to A. be in a pub B. be at that stage of drunkenness where i conclude every statement with "and i mean that" (then lean back in my seat while my audience digests my wisdom) C. be confident that it would be followed by a conversation which would start "listen guys, here's a good one, have you ever wondered what women think of to talk about when we're not there to entertain them?" ;o)
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Solving a mystery that has been bugging me all day.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Richard w - I guessed that the paper pre-dated American Beauty, don't you hate when that happens ? Yours is easily different enough though. What I particularly liked was that the paper was almost a character. As a sidebar, has anyone noticed that the infamous cherries graphic is almost a direct copy from Pacman ? Not that any of MY stuff is cherried, I have seen it on other peoples. I'd hate people to think I was self-promoting. Oh, and I love Homer Simpson when he giggles like a child or comes up with an outlandish plan.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
eeeeeexcellent - mr. burns
IFB
Anonymous's picture
things we like part 948 (subsection films) withnail and i
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Oh God yeah. 'We've come on holiday by mistake, are you the farmer ?' I have tried to play the Withnail drinking game - missing out the lighter fluid, as that occurs far too early on in the film to be possible.
IFB
Anonymous's picture
what f***** said that?
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
IFB - men in cardies...?!!! How? Why? That almost as bad as men wearing Y-fronts and a pair of socks (and nothing else) Although a man like that would probably go down well at Cousin Hilda's... Other things I like: The men on this list - but maybe that's just 'cos I'm elfin, dark haired and like to think of myself as mysterious and intelligent with a sense of humour! (and I like the Simpsons) I also like the women on this list. In fact, the forums in general. It's ace that I work at a company where I end up spending half my spare time reading the site!
lucy
Anonymous's picture
Hey that brings me to what I like - things that are FREE! Bodily functions. Also polaroid cameras. Painting Huge murals. Cats, dusk/twilight hours/beaches. Skin on skin etc. Not that all these things are free o'course. When the moon's already big in the sky at sunset, like now. (Looking out the window over Canterbury and t the cathedral.)
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
To richardw Esq. Mr. Richard, I was dozing off after ingesting a splendid Spondee Pudding with Whippet Cream at that esteemed eaterie, Ta Chucks, when I was awakened by that idiot, Eliot. He informed me about your recent posting to the 'Things We Like' pigeonhole behind the counter at Cousin Hilda's teashop. I was flattered but not surprised. I looked at some of your own poems which you left with the posting. I must say, you show great promise for someone of your height. I notice that you describe yourself as 'currently' 19. Eliot wants me to ask you what you were 'formerly'. Regarding Eliot: the TS stands for Terribly Stupid. Everyone knows his wife writes all his poems. She is twice as clever as he, and she is a half-wit. He is always in the toilet. He says he has a weak bladder. I say his 'better half' didn't write a poem about a ' J Alfred' for nothing. I notice that you are domiciled in Dundee. Never mind. Suffering is good for the soul. I once ventured into the Westport Bar with my old drinking buddy Philip Larkinabout. Needless to say we were rapidly evicted after Phil proceeded to tell the whole damn bar about how much his parents had fucked him u*. May I be so bold as to recommend the Bow Bar in Bow St. / Victoria St. Edinburgh? A fine establishment. The birthplace of the remarkable IPA beverage. The staff are so kind they sometimes take talented writers for a curry at their own expense. Tell me, young Richard, do any of those short dark haired mysterious women of your acquaintance have small grey haired mysterious grannies who are game for a spot of Gin Rummy? Or Gin and Rum-my? What? Do you, like myself, have ta chuck-le every time you think of tseliot and toilets at the same time? Godspeed (to Ta Chucks), you Black Emperor! addendum: whir-click (is that a Scottish New Wave Band?). May I recommend to your young sirship the (unfortunately now disbanded) Glaswegian combo 'Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants'? Their long-playing record 'A Walk on the Clydeside' is considered a classic. Apparently Eliot's 'trouble and strife' was listening to it when she wrote 'The Wasted Land.' Yours, (though the night is gone). Wystan Hugh.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
the westport bar, one of the dingier locales, is a frequent drinking hole of mine and also the easiest place to get gigs in dundee. the whir-clicks, while not an indie band as yet, are sure to become one ;O) verrrry soon, now that youve brought this to my attention. i haven't decided on that or "the planes in flames". soon to be coming to said venue. hugh reed, formerly a national treasure, now a bloody career politician. bugger. ts eliot, certainly weak of bladder. i always think of that bit: <<< la lala la wei lala la >>> or similar, im sure that young poets during his seniority visualised this in much the same manner as job applicants have their interviewers with pants down. the IPA is certainly a splendid ale, i think i have been there once when visiting an old friend. formerly, i was an embryo, but decided to move on when it didnt seem like i was going to be successful. looking at the bio now, it seems a rather keen young whippet has hacked into the server and played havoc with my artistic integrity! the dark haired beauties certainly do have such grannies, and inevitably some gypsy blood somewhere. thank you for the kind words, wystan. you certainly have the brain the size of *two* planets. :)
W H Audenary
Anonymous's picture
Mr. Richard, Would it surprise you to learn that Mr. Reed, of said Underpants, once tried, during a performance, to fornicate with my left leg whilst he was wearing a Bridal Gown? And would you further believe that he and I once slept together (in the same room?). As, I must add, did I once sleep in the same room with Mr. Vivian Stanshall of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band?. Old I may be, un-hip I ain't. Except if it's the hip that's going to be replaced next week. Regards, W H ExtraAudenary.
robert
Anonymous's picture
things i like, amendment no 1 for the remainder of british summer time, please disregard the word elfin - am feeling adventurous
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
well what a fine chap you do sound uncle andrew ... what do i really like? ... hmmmmm .... telly isnt something that grips me ... tho i was rather enjoying "teachers" i like eating but would rather someone cooked for me ... if forced i will "assemble" things and wave airily towards the table in the vague hope people will find sustenance thereupon ... drink ... hmmm ... i will drink most things except whisky most of all i like long deep conversations into the night with intelligent funny people who have brought booze and cooked for me ... beaches in evening light aren't bad either ...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I still love Enid Blyton...having reminisced on another thread, l took Mr.Twiddle to bed last night ( cue predictable response...) I like wine....especially in the bath, before l go out. I like eating steak, rare....l too would rather someone cooked for me, though. I lerv my best friend, the funniest human being in the history of the world ever (save perhaps Graham Norton) I like the smell of second hand bookshops, and Im fanatical about music, to the extent that I hardly ever watch tv.

Pages

Topic locked