Book of the Year

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Bloody short book, I imagine, Phyllis, dear. Read in a feathery instant...
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Judith, That Jeff Noon thing began with William S. Burroughs. Cut-Up/Fold-In Of course, that was before computers, but it's basically the same thing.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Isn't chick-lit just basically bubblegum-pop in book form ? Not to everyone's taste, but not as offensive as Westlife. I take the view generally that anyone who reads anything is better off than not reading at all (I must exclude the Daily Mail from that) Don't get me wrong, I loathe the bloody things, but not as much as Captain Corelli and the like. At least chick-lit authors and readers know the books aren't not much cop. This year I've read a lot of books that started well and faded. The last McEwan and Peter Carey spring to mind. Peter Ackroyd's "London" for the sheer inspiration it gives any writer, every other line is something you could knit a story out of (particularly if you are Fecky). And The Devil's Larder by Jim Crace. I like this more and more and count the interview as one of the year's highlights.
Darren
Anonymous's picture
I love India Knight too Liana.... The only book I have read this year that has left any sort of impression is, White Oleanders by Janet Fitch.
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
Actually, Darren did not read that book.... He didnt change the email address above!!! Bloody hell...lazy man!
spag
Anonymous's picture
Re-read 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoevsky. First time I picked it up since I had to write a three thousand word essay on it for me A-Level. I loved the book from first page to last. Forgot how brilliant it is.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*was impressedf at Darrens literary taste*
imrahil
Anonymous's picture
i can't say anything about chick or lad lit or whether liana is an elf, orc or pfifltrigg but my two favourite books this year were Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse' and Ian M. Bank's 'Feersum Endjinn'. The latter is one of the best science fiction books i've ever read (not that i've read that many) together with 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
In my top 3 of all-time favourites, Spag... Will reveal others shortly...
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
...best sci fi of the year...for me has to be....Michael Marshall Smith..."Only Forward"...it just grabs you by the balls and takes you into this wierd and wonderful dreamscape....loved it.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Probably a tie between The Innocent and Enduring Love, both by Ian McEwan.
spag
Anonymous's picture
See Andrea...you are not just a pretty face but you have great taste as well. Swoon.
robert
Anonymous's picture
a book of jonathan swift's satirical essays. 300 years old, and a lot of them are commentaries on the politics of the time, but they're angrier, funnier, and more incisive and compassionate than any contemporary journalism that i've read.
Judith
Anonymous's picture
I am currently reading "Only Forward" and yes it is a terrifyingly believable vision of the future. I am absolutely passionate about Sci-fi and one day hope to write some myself...unfortunately all my attempts so far have been pants
*&^%@#{~}[**]
Anonymous's picture
'The Beach' by Alex Garland. and 'Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah' by Richard Bach.
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
If you like "Only Forward" you should also like Christopher Fowler...he's not exactly sci fi...more gothic contemporary...he's publlished about 10 novels plus various short story collections...if I had to name one that rocked me the most it would be "Roofworld" .....life above the streets of London
Mark Yelland-Brown
Anonymous's picture
My book of the year would be " 14 ways to spell Diareah" by Simon Jones (Fontana 6.99) It's a philosophical treatise on the death of God in modern society and how the great Supermarket chains have become the new cethederals to Mammon. It's also got a great anectdote from Germaine Greer about the time she spent 5 days in a Christian cult disguised as a trendy vicar. The last chapter is very sad though as it predicts the end of the human race due to teeth decay.
chant
Anonymous's picture
i thought the Beach was competently written but fundamentally vacuous. Alex Garland comes very close to writing whatever the equivalent of chick lit is for boys. i think that India Knight is insane. i think that all chick lit should be burned. i intend to preside as Master of Ceremonies at a big chick lit bonfire at the end of the year. women who read chick lit will be sent back to Mars where they belong. they will not be provided with adequate survival equipment. i found Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment unreadable, though i will try to have another go at it. my favourite book of the year is Experience by Martin Amis. i also enjoyed Hanif Kureishi's The Black Album, an absorbing first 100 pages but loses its direction half way through and never really recovers it.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Chant ..here's an idea....dont read any chick lit......
Liana
Anonymous's picture
hang on...why do women who read chick lit belong on Mars? Please tell..... *very interested*
Tom Saunders
Anonymous's picture
Because it's the read planet? Okay, sorry, I know, quite right, I won't do it again. Please don't look at me that way, Liana. Best reads this year: Crustaceans by Andew Cowen. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood. Pastoralia by George Saunders. Bee Season by Myla Goldberg. No Great Mischief by Alistair Macleod.
Usama bin Laden
Anonymous's picture
I think for me it's got to be "100 best hiding places" by Lord Longford published by Cambridge University Press
Usama bin Laden
Anonymous's picture
Actually that's Lord Lucan, not Longford, sorry about that, I've been a bit distracted lately.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Blind Assassin is sat on the bookshelf to my right, in my "to read next" pile Tom.... you recommend it? *worries that as Atwood is a woman, and cover features seductive looking bint on front may be classed as Chick Lit therefore rendering me as Person Of Little Brain forever in the eyes of others...*
fish
Anonymous's picture
john irving's "a widow for one year"
gail
Anonymous's picture
I loved "The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama for its simplicity and beauty. I stumbled across it by chance in my local library, then recommended it to the reading club I belong to at work. Everybody loved it.

Pages

Topic locked