Dyslexic Poetry

122 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dyslexic Poetry

I want to discuss my poetry and why it is hard to follow. Ultimately it belongs to a different type of consciousness. Like all consciousnesses it defines itself in terms of socio-historical contexts and ethics that are born through mental appreciations of what it wants to be like and unlike.

I define myself by how I am Other to you and this is two-fold, it exists externally but also internally. This structure is the divinity of extreme polarities. These extrapolate sense out of something that is quite cyclonic, in terms of narrative. I am talking about life/reality.

My consciousness knows itself by what is external through funnelling into the internal and thus it becomes part of the same object. Subjected is the agent, which is both similar, and dissimilar thus it forms part of the same infrastructure that defines ‘us’ as both as individuals and non-individuals.

We are neither complete nor fragmented but this doesn’t necessarily define us as void. We transgress but are stabilised by agents that refer to something concrete in the symmetries of the symbolic that relates through the myth of being.

In short, you do not understand my poetry and it doesn’t appear like conversation because conversation is a mimeses. My poetry aims to manipulate my consciousnesses into tagging onto the progression of a visionary conscious that does not necessarily relate to the written word, the sentence or the dictionary …

I am not a poet. I do not even pretend to be. I am a dyslexic who believes that part of my nature is based on the consumer identity of the lexic. I am a lexic that is available to the dyslexic. My nature is divisible, ultimately …

What you see is not what you get, what you get is always something other as well as the same.

Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
I'll say. I'm sure Timihim's making some very valid points ..... if only I could understand them. It's 11.15 at night, and I shouldn't have to work this hard to understand someone's point of view. There is mastery in making things credulous for us simple folk to understand. I'm not trying to be facetious, but it's just too much hard work.
'thia
Anonymous's picture
:)hi pioden:) thank you again for your support and encouragement! congrats to your son for his musical debut!!!! i am so sorry for his suicide attempt.. it is so tragic that this worst case scenerio should happen before others realize how badly they are destroying these students' self esteem!! at our last meeting which included my son's neuropsychologist as well as a school representative, i said it is wonderful that we are coming up with a plan at last, but no matter how fitting to his needs it may be, it will only benefit him if he is in attendance.. i said first things first, we need to find ways to convince him that school is a place worth being and not a form of unnecessary torture, which is how he currently sees it.. the doc said, if i experienced what you experience on a daily basis, i would want to keep my head under the covers and not go to school either.. she is really helping me give the school a heads up on what a horrible experience he is having.. they have agreed to hold off on academic pressure for now and work towards helping him find reasons to want to be there, such as gifted classes, computer time, etc.. they have long since taken the joy out of it by taking away electives, such as art class taken away from a gifted artist, one place he could shine while struggling elsewhere, and replacing it with study halls and remedial classes etc.. i see where some of this may be necessary, but i wish they had not come at the cost of the things he was good at.. now there is nothing left at school that he can feel good about.. it is just a place to go where he is made to feel frustrated and criticized by others.. i told them in all honesty that i don't blame him for not wanting to be there.. but once i can just get him through highschool, he will find his way in the world, just as your talented son has done:) you did a good job with him pioden:) his success reflects on you as a good parent!:) yes, i agree with starting early with a love for books.. my son and i both learned to read when we were two years old.. dispels some of those dyslexic myths, huh? i had a hard time convincing others that he is dyslexic because he is a strong reader.. but i think we can teach our children to enjoy reading, even if it is hard for them, or if they read differently than how it's taught in schools.. my son and i both wanted to read so badly that we found ways around the moving letters and words but this self-correction would not have been created in us had not somebody spent the time giving us a love for books since day one.. for me, it was my sister, god rest her soul, who used to play school with me every day:) when something is boring, i can't read it, the words just won't stay put.. but if it is a good plot that i can become emotionally involved in, it is as if magic happens:) reading is so much easier when something is "worth" reading:) (:peace:)
pioden
Anonymous's picture
I'm not good a parent .... I've learnt as I've gone along and made many mistakes ..... my son still has a long way to go yet .... but we're now far more relaxed ... he too write's poems ... he also write his own music ... here's one of his ..... I'm going to type it just as he's written it On Me If I had to loos my mile If I had to touch filing I wouldent loss my sole, the way I do I don't have to thinck I only have to do it Resalts are always perfect, that's all news would you like to here my voice speeaking with emotion benafit your birth. I can't see the end of me my whole expence I cannot see formulated infiniti stored deep inside me Pete His work turns up on my desk .... always writen on scraps of paper screw up 'cause he's thrown it away a couple of times before he's had the courage to put it there ...... he hides his work and only shows it to the selected few ...... one of his tutors from collage has at last managed to get that close to him ...... it was a brake through ...... I have got his permission to put it here ... he says it's crap ... but it's ok .... I know eactly what you mean about the magic ..... I find when I'm stressed or very tired that I have the most problems .... Mind you I do use my writing as a way to cope .... we're so full of contradiction and have to go all the way around all the houses before we can reach our own front door ..... and we're not been difficult either it's just the way we have to do things
Primate
Anonymous's picture
Agreed. Half the trick of writing is making people forget that they're reading, which you cant do if you're using words of 20 syllables. Simple is good!
'thia
Anonymous's picture
wonderful poem!!!! it most certainly is not crap... please tell your son i admire his courage to share and he is very gifted!! and about going the long way around, yeah, i tend to do that too (both literally and figuratively) but the scenic route is alot more interesting than going straight from point a to point b.. that is the bright side is that life is alot of things but it is never boring:) (:peace:)
ely whitley
Anonymous's picture
I've got to agree, the art of writing is communication, I've been on about this on other threads. The creative writer can make the point, no matter how subtle or complex, to ANY READER. If you're a decent writer then you'll structure your work so that it has the same effect on the head of lit at Oxford and Fat Barry, the plasterer from wakefield. (fat barry later went on to win the booker prize for his piece entitled, "sorry about the dust love, put the kettle on")
timihim
Anonymous's picture
You should encourage him to get a set – I want to read more. Have been reading but not writing: busy week … best wishes to you both TH
Pretentious, moi?
Anonymous's picture
timihim (the well-known anagram), Dyslexia is not the issue here. It is your total failure to communicate anything but utterly meaningless drivel. Onanonanonanon... You are only connecting to other pretentious tossers. It's the likes of you that gives poetry a bad name.
ely whitley
Anonymous's picture
Can you all answer a question for me? It's only a technicality but I was wondering. If a dyslexic person looks at a word, I am led to believe that the order of the letters can be jumbled so they might see 'HOUSE' as 'HUOES'. Is this basically how it happens and if so then does that word always appear in that way? In other words, Pete has written "resalts". Does he always spell it that way and when he sees it, does he see it later as misspelled or does it look correct to him? I know that there are many forms of dyslexia and this is a huge simplification but within that simple example, is this how it happens?
pioden
Anonymous's picture
it depends on what word follows or what is before ..... I cannot answer for my son but I find when I read back what I've written ... sometimes even I can't understand it myself.... crossword puzzles .... I love them ........ I get all the right letters but put then in the wrong order .... this has always interested me .... it's as if the eye and pen are not co ordinated and that the thinking process works faster than both ... if we take time the spelling bit can be worked around ...... I sit with a dictionary in my lap when working most of the time ...... I have to buy a new one every year it's so well used the spell checker I have is great but I still find I make mistakes .... and that why I rely upon the provision of a proof (mainly writen as "poof")reader for my essay's .... he loves the job because the mistakes are so funny but hates having to help me the commas and full stops ..... this is were it gets very laborious When reading I have to use a toil to cover the words I haven't read yet to keep them in order ...... at this point I think we're going over old ground ... but it may help you to understand why some find reading things like menus and notices difficult ...... you try covering up the bits you've not read on a menue that's way up high on a wall .... using your imagination I'm sure you'll find that as funny as I do ..... a little 5ft 1 woman trying to focus on menus whilst climbing on chair to get some height .... ha ha ha ha .. sorry but I've done this once when I was slightly tipsy ..... and the memory of falling into the lap of some poor women still lingers.... rotten luck really now if it had been a bloke welllll .... but thinking about yes some word always turn up spelt the same way but wrong ....
'thia
Anonymous's picture
(: hi :) dylexic attributes are different for diff individuals.. transposed letters, as you described, are common.. for myself, no, it is not always the same.. it depends on my frame of mind.. if i am disoriented while reading, i can see letters or words in reverse, or the whole page can fog over and all the words are indistinguishable.. but i can reread the same passage and it will be clearly readable.. there are some words that seem to put themselves in a rut for me, where they are mispelled everytime i try to read or write them.. but for the most part, it varies.. my son could use the same word four times on the same page and spell it correctly once and mispell it the other three times, and each mispelling differs from the other.. it is mostly not just a mental block from correctly memorizing words and therefore learning them wrongly the first time and never able to correct.. it is more about orientation/disorientation.. sometimes my eyes/mind are open to reading and i have no problems.. sometimes i have difficulty getting into this frame of mind and have trouble.. as with pioden, disorientation occurs more often when i am stressed, tired, or ill.. when disoriented, words or letters can appear to move, or will appear in the wrong order at first glance, or will appear doubled or with shadows of themselves or backwards or upsidedown.. but the experience is not the same each time i encounter the same word.. most of my problems, as with my sons, are due to tracking.. i don't read from left to right.. i swallow the word or sentence whole and my mind then decyphers which order it is supposed to be in.. as in the goof i made with karl's post, sometimes i make a wrong guess.. but when i re-read it and took extra time to track with my finger i was able to read it in the correct order.. so in short, most reading mistakes are correctable and are not permanently etched into my mind.. that is just my experience, but someone else can probably explain it better and more concisely.. (:peace:)
'thia
Anonymous's picture
ps (:hi to timihim:) pps the following is not worthy of the poetry board, but it is something i want to express, so i am posting it here>> dyspoetry my attempts at prose were deemed unacceptable by their definition so they called me a poet.. some even said i was gifted as such.. but i read the words of true poets from poe to pioden and i am humbled.. from fathoms beneath them, i reach a groping hand up through the depths which seperate.. i only hope to brush fingertips with those who have rightfully earned the title..
timihim
Anonymous's picture
Define dyslexia: Main Entry: dys- Function: prefix Etymology: Middle English dis- bad, difficult, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French dis-, from Latin dys-, from Greek; akin to Old English tO-, te- apart, Sanskrit dus- bad, difficult 1 : abnormal 2 : difficult -- compare EU- 3 : impaired 4 : bad -- compare EU- Main Entry: lex·is Pronunciation: 'lek-s&s Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural lex·es /-"sEz/ Etymology: Greek, speech, word Date: 1960 So you are having ago at me for having a problem with words? ok so I am complicated but if you had taken the time to get the dictionary out, think about the words, try not take it so personally - you may have realised you were facing exactly what most dyslexics face with every piece of writing. the feelings of fear – inability to understand – the laboriousness of language. You say I give poetry a bad name – I say I wasn’t trying to be poetic. In fact I stated I don’t consider myself a poet. I say you give lexics a bad name. Some people might not see it as something you have to correct or sympathise with but may appreciate it as something different. I am not pretentious and I think you may have only been being defensive to say that. I am trying to assert a particular space where dyslexics can stand. If you want to criticise me for that go ahead, it is nothing new. But I think there would be something poetic about opening your eyes and realising your way, your sense, can only exist by the way I exist, the type of sense I make to other dyslexics. Confliction can be ambiguous and thus beautiful (see Anish Kapoor’s work if you want to know more about it) so why not appreciate differences rather than copy each other and say the same boring story over and over like it hasn’t be said before?
1legspider
Anonymous's picture
Saying new things simply. Saying old things simpler. I am sure there is place for rarified heavily contextualised stuff..usually in humour. Personally it rarely turns me on. Thinking more about it.. A good, clever poem should strive to be as complete as possible within the body of its text.. so that one has a chance in deducing any multi faceted structures/meanings within the poem without necessarily having knowledge of/referring to external sources for context.. Hmmmm. My opinion only. What do others think?
pioden
Anonymous's picture
'thia.......do not under estimate your own worth .... that was wonderful why should it not be placed in your abc but please remove my name first and put someone else's there I'm not that good .... I feel deeply honoured very very very deeply moved your work should be read ... it helps others to understand ..... to connect ..... but above all it's good ..... very good that which you have allowed us to read .... be not afraid ..... your audiance awaits I used to write just for myself and hide them just like my son until I found that it could reach people and make then think or make them smile or that they could just relate to them in a way that sometimes supprises me .... I suddenly realised that I could get an enjoyment out of theirs ...... One of the things the biggest steps you can take is to face critism and see it for what it is ..... then you start to see how critism actually works .... that which comes from those who act unconstructively and is a basic attack you learn to throw them in the bin ..... those which enjoy your work and point out what you have missed and they work with you ...... and those that priase and you feel dead embarresssed by .... I know there are many other forms of critism .... but the thing I have learnt is how to shift it back .... still not sure how to take the praise having said that ..... I must continue to say I'm just an ordinary person you know Will continue to check you abc .... but take your time .... look forward to reading more of your work ..... your now in demand ! I also know exactly what you mean about about the tracking and use of finger and the goof you can make of yourself ... I do it all the time ..... and laugh at myself .....
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
That's better. At least we can all understand what you say now, and I personally feel you make an excellent point in that your previous comments on this thread are how most writing appears to dislexics. However, your last point concerning appreciating differences rather than copying each other's same old boring stories comes hurtling out of the screen at me with the speed of a Michael Owen volley. There is an incredible variety of writing on this site - some good, some bad, but for the most part comprehensible. It serves no purpose to write so that no one else can understand you unless you happen to be conversing with Stephen Hawkins - which you may be for all I know. Sorry if this sounds patronising, but there seems to be an incredible contradiction in your writing. There's no doubt that you are educated and have an enormous vocabulary at your disposal, yet you claim dislexia. I'm still confused.
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
(My last comments were directed to Timihim, not 1Leg).
fish
Anonymous's picture
it sounds like you are saying dyslexics are ill educated and inarticulate there karl ...
'thia
Anonymous's picture
:) hi pioden:) i will change your name if i embarrassed you.. sorry if i did:) but i was inspired to write that when i was reading your poetry and timihim's and some others on the board and i admired so much what i read that i honestly feel like my own poetry pales in comparison.. i often see my own poems as nonsensical run-on sentences that just happen to have rhythm and rhyme.. but they usually do not seem to have the depth of what i have read on abc.. i feel like an amateur in comparison.. but then, i have never been accused of having self confidence or high self esteem:) maybe i am ready to be open to criticism (the good, the bad, and the ugly:)) i will look under the bed this evening or this weekend and see what i can find:) thanx again for your encouragement:) yeah, with the tracking and misreading thing, i've learned to laugh sometimes, but not always.. like when someone was writing to me about when they were in highschool, i was waiting for some bizarre story about when they were high in school, but when it didn't come, i reread and realized my mistake, and i couldn't help but laugh at myself.. but in a case like a couple days ago, it's harder to see humor knowing i have spent anger on somebody who didn't deserve it.. i could see that this discussion was getting a bit out of hand and far from the discussion on dyslexic poetry which was initially intended, and i knew i was playing a part in it becoming a heated debate, so i backtracked to see if i could figure out where things may have went wrong.. when i found my own mistake, it didn't make me want to laugh.. all i could think was boy is my face red!! if the person whose post i misread popped in to say hey, honest mistake, no offense taken, i could laugh it off.. but knowing i have probably soured him from this whole discussion and he probably has not even seen my apology, well, it's hard to laugh at that.. i still feel bad about it.. but here's an idea.. maybe i will kill three birds with one stone.. maybe post an apology poem with a humorous edge.. i'll see what i come up with:) (:peace:)
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
No, not at all. I apologise if it came across that way. I just don't understand how a dyslexic can have such a command of the English language that he is able to transfer this onto paper, yet still claim dyslexia.
pioden
Anonymous's picture
you have the edge you have the quality you are the word your example I wish to follow boy I know the redness of face the bitterness the conclusions easy to jump to but follow the flow and you will see people do know they're really just like us you know I once had a screaming match with someone who had completely taken what I had written the wrong way ..... they where not dyslexic and had not been bother to read any further than the first few lines before jumping down at throat .... it took a friend of mine to come between us and she ended up telling us both off .... me for jumping to conclusions about the other and the other for not reading me as she put it 'well' in the first instance ..... I think and have found that everyone is capable of making mistakes ... just that we do it more than most due to the way we read ...... I cannot help but underline and underline TIME give yourself and them TIME ..... it's a wicked evil thing .... it trips us up when we least expect but hell your a good person and that you can see in the way you've written ..... part of the problems we have in todays living is due to the way we never give each other TIME ..... I'm sure that many will understand it's only those who are self possecessed that don't and it's their loss really not yours .... why don't you e-mail the person an apolpogy it's never too late ... and don't be so sure that the person hasn't given up reading the thread .... they may be feeling as uneasy or uncomfortable about it as you are .... cause they've done possible the same as you have without knowing ...... we learn by our experineces ..... mind you we also learnt not to learn by them as well ..... but I'm sure that you'll find that they've either forgotten about it or are not really bothered about it but will be please to hear that you taken the time to be thoughtfull enough to think about them ....... all you have to do to send them an e-mail is click onto their name .... and write simple
Liana
Anonymous's picture
yet spelling dyslexia "dislexia" is there a hidden meaning to that karl?
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Could be.
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
i would like somebody to tell me ONE latin word that has the letter y between d and s
Liana
Anonymous's picture
true.. but that is how it is spelt. No one ever said that the English language had RULES did they sky? You should know better than that :o)))
chant
Anonymous's picture
Sky, the variant spelling of 'dys' might have come about to emphasise its differentiation in meaning from 'dis', with stem 'dis' meaning 'apart, removed', and stem 'dys' meaning 'hard, difficult, bad'.
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
Dyscolus dysenteria dysentericus dysĕrōs dyspepsia dysphŏrĭcus dyspnoea dysprŏphŏron dysuria dysūrĭăcus http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform?lang=Latin in the latin/roman vocabulary there are 11 words all of them are latinized hellenic words as you can see... now the letter Y is a letter that was included in the latin alphabet around 100 after Christ. there are those that maintain that this letter was semitic canaanitic others say it is Pythogoras that invented the letter... THERE IS NO WAY THAT DYS IS COMING FROM THE LATIN ALPHABET if you search in the link I give you you will find that there are approximately - according to the site- 1129 words of greek vocabulary that are begin with dys. and I would like dear Liana to explain to me why you say I know that there are no rules in English and why I should know that :o?
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Or Disrespect, as in, "He fucking dissed me, man. No one should dis me. Yo momma!" In fact, it probably is that.
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Or Disrespect, as in, "Don't fucking dis me, man.
'thia
Anonymous's picture
:)hi pioden:) you are so kind and so good with words!!:) yes, time is the key.. time and communication.. i have found that most if not all misunderstandings can be worked through if those involved keep talking or keep writing until they get to the other side of it, whatever it takes, however long it takes.. as for writing simply, i could try, but i'll have to take some "time" to get it worded just right before posting or sending it.. see, for me, as you've probably noticed:), keeping it simple is not something i'm good at:) once i finally became able to access words, they come at me in an unstoppable flow.. i have a hard time cutting them off, being concise.. it is hard enough to open up to the flow of words as opposed to pictures, but i have learned to do that.. how to then take those words and tone them down into a simple statement is something i am still working on.. i can do it, but it takes alot of time and revision.. but anyway, you always have such good advice and i am grateful to you:) (:peace:)
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
I think I'm turning into a dyslexic typist.
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
dyslexic in my opinion can only derive from dyo+lexis... thus timihim on purpose or not -this is of no importance- by saying dyslexic wants to say ambiguous... disimos - amfisimos and stress the allegorical side of poetry
Liana
Anonymous's picture
because you must've studied it well sky, thats all. wish i had such a command of another language as you have of english. in fact i wish i spoke english even half as well as you do.
chant
Anonymous's picture
on a related point, Aldous Huxley drew attention to the etymological connection between 'duo' meaning 'two', and 'dus' meaning 'bad'. he connected them via the idea that, according to one mystic, 'it is the second that leads us astray'. he suggested that language is wiser than we are and, in words like dyspepsia, it retains the ancient concept of badness being associated with plurality.
pioden
Anonymous's picture
'thia ..... it's been a upmost pleasure to talk to you ..... I too have the same problem .... writting simiple takes a lot longer ... don't you find that you have so much to say .... that you feel that to wirte simiple is just not the case as it doesn't seem to say what you want it too... I've just brought a copy of Edward Lear's 'Complete Nonsense' and am enjoying it ..... not ony as a good read but also to see how it works .... sometimes it takes me ages to see the point fo some work ... but given time and a little bit of encouragement .... then I go into outer orbit with sheer glee ..... I've enjoyed what you have written and can fully connect with what you are saying in your work ... more please ..... you have a fan ...... Sorry didn't reply straight away only I had to be away from home for the day .......
Liana
Anonymous's picture
In parts of E. Europe, its really bad form to send flowers in even quantities... they must always be in bunches of an even number, unless they are going on a grave... i always wondered why that was, so chant, that probably explains it.
'thia
Anonymous's picture
i totally hear you pioden.. when the words rush in, it's all i can do to keep up with them, let alone reign them in and cut them down to size.. guess that's what happens when thoughts move at a faster pace than typing fingers:) by the time i backtrack to see where i was coming from, i've missed my own point.. my thougts go in so many directions at once that i tend to stray from the point i am initially trying to make, and who knows where it will lead me, but i usually don't try to limit myself because i usually end up somewhere other than where i was trying to get but it is sometimes somewhere better than my initial goal.. but when a task requires me to be straight to the point and simply put, e-gads! what a challenge! few of my poems stick to the subject of the first stanza.. they just go on and on forever.. sometimes i can make it come around and connect the whole thing, but more often it is just aimless rambling.. i'm thrilled that you enjoy it, though, so i will see what else i have and put some more out there.. i've been reading your new stuff and it really speaks to me!!:):) any particular subject you would like me to post some poetry on? thanx for showing an interest! you're doing my heart good:)
Liana
Anonymous's picture
er.. thats bunches of an ODD number. told you my english was s.hit....
pioden
Anonymous's picture
Ok subject areas .... why not have a go at some of Karl's thingys .... or go to the forum 'where their shooting the breeze' ..... finding subject areas .... I hardly have a problem .....my brian is always moving as some of my e-mail friends are just finding out ..... tell you what I do now is to carry a note book around with me .... I go disappearing ... and everyone spends hours trying to find me .... and when they do.... if they stop me mid though I get very annoyed .... but it can be very productive .... try it ... you might suprise your self ..... if your not already doing it ... I know it's one of the things they tell us dyslexic's to do to collect our thought's but it can have other uses ..... the recent stuff that looks as if I've just put them up .... I haven't ..... I've just started a new abc and am in the process of moving what I had around a bit .... a little bit of tickling the words and adding new stuff as I write it .... take the one 'Ed- it - or' it was written on a Quay side ..... a vast open area along side a harbour ...... I had a couple of seagulls for company ..... I was annoyed with someone ... who been driving me nuts for ages ..... he was there too .... we ate our sandwiches and it just came to me ..... in between bite's ..... it had no attachment to the wonderful view we had of the Striats or the harbour nor the Castle near by .... I find the words have been dancing in my head for ages .... I've even been know to take my notebook into the bathroom .. .. I don't reckonmend this ... it took ages to dry out .... I know think of mornings and see what you come up with .... none typical .... play have fun above all enjoy what you write ...even if it's a difficult area ..... your good 'thia Oh something else I've recently discovered sometimes something don't make sense but if I put it away for a couple of days and come back to it ... I find that it's taken on something else and works better ..... I try not to waste anything .... but then again I am a bit of a horder .... which can be very annoying for those who live with me .... you take care and write ..... enjoy it
'thia
Anonymous's picture
yes:) i'm always writing on whatever scraps of paper are handy and i try to keep a notebook handy too:) but you can probably relate to this>> it is actually easier for me to write something new off the top of my head than it is to organize the stuff i already wrote.. i have hundreds of poems under my bed, but the thought of sorting through them overwhelmed me, so i just posted something that came to me from the heart this morning.. i wrote it to my son, but it was also inspired by your son and his success:) you mentioned having a go at some of karl's things.. do you mean responses to comments he made in this discussion or his poetry? i read (and enjoyed) one of his poems that was cherry picked, the one that went down the alphabet and listed things that cheer him up.. i should download more of his poetry and go from there:) (:peace:)
pioden
Anonymous's picture
if you go through the home page you'll find among it ... some where near the bottom or maybe mid way they keep changing it so you have to keep looking ...... "Karls exercises" click on the link to it and read ... he gives different exercises to practice with ...... some of which I've done but not posted ..... don't tell him ..... ohhh ..... just realised he'll might read this and will now know ..... sorry Karl .... I'm just a naughty person really! not his work 'thia but his exercise's .... go on a search of the site until you find it ..... that's another thing I enjoy about this site is that I keep finding new things out about it ...... But yes I've enjoyed some of his stuff .... but I only read .... my inspiration comes from what is around me ..... as to your stuff under the bed ...... do a little bit each day ... boy have I laughed at some of mine .... but when I found a piece that grips me I'm off ..... it can take as little as a few minuets up to half a morning to write just one thing .... some of it can take weeks and days .... but that stuff I'm not happy about and tend to sling at the back of my box ...... but yes I know what you mean .... about the then and now .... you can't help it bubblying up to the surface ..... I've not been well for the last four months and have spent a lot of time in various waiting rooms not the best places to write ... but I jot down lots of notes about what's around me and what I've seen and heard .... some of then are quite funny .... some not so ..... I play writing games and puzzle around with words and see how I can relate them to people ... there so many little things .... I end up with loads od nonsensical notes but they can be memories of things I might otherwise have forgotten about ..... Try karl's exercise ..... you'll find the link to it on the home page .....
timihim
Anonymous's picture
Mr Wiggins - you amuse me enormously… “Sorry if this sounds patronising.... There's no doubt that you are educated and have an enormous vocabulary at your disposal, yet you claim dislexia.” “ I just don't understand how a dyslexic can have such a command of the English language that he is able to transfer this onto paper, yet still claim dyslexia” … how do you mean ‘claim’?… are you supposing it is negotiable? I am lying? …. Or ARE you (perhaps CONTRODICTING yourself – a bit hypocritical!) saying that dyslexics can’t be educated? I bet you don’t think women should be educated either! Why does it only serve a purpose to write so that no one else can understand you unless you happen to be conversing with Stephen Hawkins? – I am confused. (Perhaps not the only one not to make sense either) … why are you ALLOWING me to NOT make sense if I talk to my mate Hawky? Skydolphin? Er … sorry, are you saying that you think I mean ambiguous rather than dyslexia? Just to clarify I mean dyslexia … I am sure of that. Just so you know I do not take myself as seriously as this might come across. And I am wondering, which of you will be there on the 20th? Because I will be happy to bore you with how I came to be dyslexic AND (gasp!) educated… And PS I am not the only dyslexic who is educated … for your info … Einstein/ Hemmingway/ Hans Christian Andersen/Agatha Christie/W.B. Yeats are all thought to be dyslexic … that is: ‘have such a command of the English language that he is able to transfer this onto paper, yet still claim dyslexia’ PPS name any writer/thinker/philosopher/scientist - in fact any human being - that doesn’t contradict, in his or her work, Karl.
'thia
Anonymous's picture
hi pioden:) i love to play with words, so i am looking forward to trying some of karl's excercises.. thanx for the tip:) (:peace:)
1legspider
Anonymous's picture
Chant, dont understand 'language is wiser than we are' if it is 'we' that created language in the first place.. ..also how plurality can be bad.. understand that you said it was thought to be bad, in which case if vestiges of this meaning are left in language, then it is right that these sort of misconceptions are left to float away into the mists of history (and not to be resuscitated as points of forgotten wisdom).. ..if I have learnt anything ever.. it is that in the wider scheme of things it is variety, plurality, choice that is good and will always find a way to persist..
pioden
Anonymous's picture
if you like click on my name and e-mail me ... I have a big day on thursday and am not sure where I'll be from then on .... but I would like to keep in touch .....
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
timihim I am sorry I was talking about the word dyslexic not your word... I thought you might need some help about the word, I am Greek and I thought I could help about the origin of the stem of the word......... sorry no offence friend! and Liana, thanks for your nice words but I am not that highly educated in English Language and Literature and most of the english literature I've read translated into Greek. I always think when I upload new pieces of work " I hope I haven't made any stupid mistakes.... " there are times that I made some horrible grammar errors ... for example instead of briskness I wrote fastness...... there are simple words that I don't know and I know more rare!!! the rare words are more easily remembered........!!!! so thanks Liana, very much! :o)))))) and once again timihim sorry if I offended you!
timihim
Anonymous's picture
... you didn't - as I say I don't take myself very seriously ... thanks for being so nice though (a word I want to re-claim from the school opprobrium) :)
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
in greek dysarestos that means unpleasant has dys in order to indicate something bad... dystychia that is unhappiness is dys+tyhi which is bad luck... so dyslexia -if there was such a word, it seems to me that it's all about a linguistic fiasco ;o)- means bad way with words. is that what you want to say when you use this word? or do you want to describe a different way with words??? because if you want to do the latter then , your word is allegorical - from which we go to ambiguity..... sorry again.
'thia
Anonymous's picture
:)thank you pioden:) i would enjoy keeping in touch too:):) i will e-mail you shortly:) this has been a good discussion.. i'm sorry, timihim, if we got too far off from the subject of dyslexic poetry.. it's funny how i try so hard to try to help others see my perspective, but when it comes down to it, i realize that it is too much to ask.. i am not saying that we are superior as dyslexics and therefore our point of view is over other's heads.. but i am saying it is an experience of highs and lows.. i am grateful for the highs and wouldn't wish to change who i am including my dyslexia, but the lows are not something i could truly wish on someone else.. i often fleetingly wish that others could walk a mile in my shoes, but then i get to thinking that it is cruel to wish the pain on them.. because it is worth the pain, but it is painful nonetheless.. so if some don't wish to walk the walk, if even momentarily to see how it feels, i can't say i blame them.. with that, i'll get off my soapbox now, but i'll probably be around on the poetry board and may also submit some of my short stories or maybe i'll even post my novel, such as it is:) (:peace:)
e-griff
Anonymous's picture
sad, but better!

Pages

Topic locked