A fiendishly Write Weekend?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
A fiendishly Write Weekend?

Could you write a short story in a weekend? That’s exactly what 100 writers did in the second staging of the Weekender Challenge, an on-line short story writing competition.

The brief was fiendishly simple. Write a short story in the space of two days without knowing either the word count or the theme until the competition commenced! A cap of 100 was placed on entries and amazingly all places were filled two weeks before the contest began.

The competition will take place once more this year at 9.00 a.m. on the 12th & 13th July, 2003. There will be cash prizes of £50 for the winning entry and £25 for the two runners up. There will also be ebooks and free membership to www.writelinkpro.co.uk the content providing service for Writelink. The three top entries will be published on www.writelink.co.uk

As before, the contest will take place totally on-line so you will need a valid email address and internet access.

Full details can be found at this link: http://www.writelink.co.uk/Competitions/Weekender_Challenge/weekender_ch...

Full results and the winning entries of the last competition can be seen at this url: http://www.writelink.co.uk/Competitions/Weekender_Challenge/WeekenderCha...

drew
Anonymous's picture
All my stories are written in under 2 days. How long do people normally spend on a story?
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
2 days? With editing? Lucky sod. Takes me about a week...sometimes more.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
In my case, a lifetime.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Between 2 hrs and 2 months, both with the same result Crapola.
freda
Anonymous's picture
Unless its one I discard for a couple of years and then try to salvage, it takes 2 days. One to spit out, another to edit or tweak it. There has to be a sleep in between, a sort of standing back, and that's the most important part.
Kenny Loggins
Anonymous's picture
Will someone tell Ms Kendrick to stop using this site to promote her dismal wares.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
It's obviously 'lunchtime' in Manchester yet again!
Justin Credible
Anonymous's picture
Write something interesting, will you people?
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
'Could you write a short story in a weekend?' www.gluttonlink.co.uk launches a counter-challenge: 'Could you eat two apples in a sitting?'
Justin Credible
Anonymous's picture
Yes because I am JUSTIN CREDIBLE
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
And why shouldn't Sue Kendrick 'use this site to promote her wares'? All she was doing was offering you all a chance to enter a competition. 'Ms Kendrick', in fact, runs an incredibly useful site and newsletter, featuring the latest competitions, markets and news for writers. All for free. On the one hand you all moan and groan about 'not being published' whilst on the other dismiss people out of hand who can help you do that very thing.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Thank you Andrea. Couldnt have put it better myself.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Um...I wasn't dismissing anyone cloggie, just trying to include a bit of humour in the thread. There's absolutely no reason why Ms Kendrick shouldn't post what she wants, although I guess she may have been better advised to have used one of the serious forums above. I'm sure she is a very nice dedicated woman, I hope she has a sense of humour. The problem with the 'serious' bits is that most people don't go there, maybe prefering the madhouse here.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Sorry L & A i can only spot one really negative comment against Sue's original post, and thats from you know who.
freda
Anonymous's picture
I found Ms K's post of interest, and I also think it's on the right forum, as I don't think so many people read the others.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
You need to shorten your lines to qualify for 'short' story Susie my dear.
Topic locked