The Best Soul Song Ever.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Best Soul Song Ever.

This has to be 'I've been loving you too long, to stop now' by Otis Redding.
No. 2. with about a millionth of the thickness of a cigarette paper between them - 'It's a man's man's man's world' By James Brown, the greatest black artist that's ever lived.
No. 3. Ditto the cigarette paper, 'I don't want to go on without you' The Drifters.
Now this side of the water: This will surprise those who are predudiced and have cloth ears. 'I'm never gonna fall in love again' Tom Jones. Now before yooz all think that fatalky is back on the trembling juice-not so. The black community in America see Tom Jones as a soul singer. There was a collective dropping of black and white jaws when Tom Jones was first seen on American TV, 'He's white??????????'
OK thoughts on the above.

[%sig%]

nibles
Anonymous's picture
1. bilal - sometimes / isley brothers - for the love 2. bobby womack - if you think your lonely now 3. ojays - backstabbers 4. marvin gaye - mercy mercy me 5. alicia keys ft jimmy cozier - mr man you gotta mix the old with the new!!!!!
Milton
Anonymous's picture
No
Lou
Anonymous's picture
Okay - just one more - Al Green's I'm So Tired of Being Alone. Off to find Aretha Franklin CD and the bottle opener... [%sig%]
Lou
Anonymous's picture
Yep, I'll go with 4 & 5 but I'd add 'I would rather go blind' by......... whatsherface [%sig%]
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
'I' call myself 'mississippi' which is also known as 'old MAN river', it's only those too lazy to type the full word that call me 'missi', not that I mind. Now, if you're looking for an old tart, you need look no further than ABC's very own Mykle. He'll attend to all your needs and even entertain with some 'spinning by the seaside'.
archergirl
Anonymous's picture
*cackles gleefully* Oh. I love it.
fatalky
Anonymous's picture
Mississippi: The night after Dr. Martin Luther King was gunned down, if they'd have had a Ray Charles special on TV there would have been major riots in black neighborhoods. They had a James Brown special on and there weren't. If you think that the sadness expressed at the great Ray Charles death, wait until you see the wailing and a'gnashing that follows James Brown's demise. Some years ago I was at a friends party, we were listening to Van Morrison, all a bit pissed and of course sitting around navel gazing. My friend said 'God this is a bit boring, have you got any records round your place to liven things up a bit?" Did I! So I went and got some James Brown and put on 'Get up offa that thing' and my Christ did they! It looked as if everyone had suddenly been given a few thousand volts of electricity. This included an 80 year old woman. (Don't ask) I think if you asked any of the great black artists of our day, they would put JB right at the top. Oh I agree with nearly all of the nominations that people have sent in, I used to have them all. P.S. Is there a Mr, Pippi? [%sig%]
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I don't actually see how the ability to get people dancing is the ultimate accolade for any kind of singer. I'll put money on it that the demise of James Brown will pass with less wailing than the demise of jasper, and no one will be crying over him. PS. What makes you think I'm not a Mr.?
flash
Anonymous's picture
Is 'Say a little prayer,' soulsong cos i like that one by Aretha Franklin.
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
'How do you mend a broken heart?' by Al Green. I'll fight to the death on this onxe. Come on. Let's be havin ya! R x
fatalky
Anonymous's picture
You won't believe this Ralph but that was going to go in; BUT I FORGOT!!! Yep couldn't agree more. I've just recently sold all my Atlantic/Stax/Motown records (after putting them all on to tape) because it just was not going to happen that I get up every 3 minutes to play a record. And of course I can listen to them in the car. I also now listen to them (re-discovering) late into the night and it's an hour and a half of bliss. Didn't I choose the right time to live through contemporary music? I recently went to see 'Standing In the Shadow of Motown' (Twice) and the second time on the way out, I was behind two girls of about 17/18 who were as animated as my girl friend and I. So I tapped one on the shoulder and said "Sorry to interrupt, but you weren't born when this music was made, what made you come?" She just gushed that "My dad was always playing this music when I was growing up, and I bought him a ticket but he couldn't make it so I brought my friend and she thinks it's brilliant!!!!!!!" She blubbed through tears. So if you want to get a brilliant DVD that's the one, but be warned it's also a real weepy. A lot of those guys are now dead through drink and drugs. Lets now have standing in the shadow of Stax/Atlantic. Sorry, I've done a bit of gushing too: but there's my real love; soul music/drumming and I fucked up because of - booze. Ho Hey.
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
Come on George. JB invented Funk ( I know Alan Toussent can hold his hands up as well). He was the master, took it to the streets and all that. JB is an idiot though, a very dodgy character (a bit like Chuck Berry). I met Little Richard once (he's bonkers.)
Lou
Anonymous's picture
Hello Fatalky. I agree with your Otis choice, definately, but the song I'm most fond of is, Tell it Like it is, by Arron Neville. (It was always played at my parents' parties - it's funny but at 2am they never seemed to notice that the single was dragging.) [%sig%]
Milton
Anonymous's picture
Don't forget Would I Lie To You - Charles and Eddie Stay With Me - Lorraine Ellison Private Number - William Bell and Judy Clay To Know You Is To Love You - Syreeta Wright Living In The City - Stevie Wonder
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
OK, so he invented funk. It still doesn't make him fit to clean Ray Charles' shoes.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
>> ...James Brown, the greatest black artist that's ever lived. << Well that may be your personal opinion, but he's not fit to clean Ray Charles shoes. And that's mine.
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
Yeah you are right George. But Ray was a diffrent genrewithin the genre.
Radiodenver
Anonymous's picture
Ray was good. I liked Ray.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
He spoke highly of you too, Denver.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
"when the boat comes in" - various geordies. Although, come to think of it, it's more about bloaters and haddock than sole.
Radiodenver
Anonymous's picture
Otis Redding : [Sittin' On] The Dock Of The Bay
Lou
Anonymous's picture
And on the girls' side - Dorothy Moore, Misty Blue joint favourite with Aretha Franklin, Do Right Woman. [%sig%]
fatalky
Anonymous's picture
It's because you call yourself Miss, Mississippi. I assume you're not married, we're both about the same age, I'm single, catch my drift? We also agree on Ray Charles but we will have to agree to disagree about JB. Oh my God! Is this our first tiff? James Brown reduced rhythm to a new elevation. He made it primaeval - and THE SCREAM!!!!! I think Edvard Munch would have approved. I think when he first appeared, his music was very much Big Band punk, with that swinging 6/8 rhythm on 'Please Please Please' and the wailing and heartache that he voiced, a feeling we've all felt when left by someone we were deeply in love with, but couldn't give that kind of voice to because of societal convention. Sly Stone did the same kind of thing as JB but with a much more intricate style. But that's not to say that JB's music is not intricate - it is - but Sly Stone's music was - is - layer upon layer of rhythm 'almost' to the point of being complicated. Listen to the Family Affair album and you'll see what I mean. But in his prime there was the same kind of explosion of energy (I saw him at The Lyceum in London, 3 hours late and coked off his face; that gig equalled the best gig ever - now there's another thread) I experienced along with several thousand others when I saw James Brown at the Astoria in London. I know I know, not quite the Apollo. But he shook peoples hands, thanked the crowd, handed out flowers. When Sly Stone was finished he was gone in a flash.
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
Mavis Staples 'I'll take you there.'. Anyone who has a strong interest in soul music shoud buy 'Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures' there are now four volumes of this spine tingling stuff out there. Go get it!
Ralph
Anonymous's picture
Mavis Staples 'I'll take you there.'. Anyone who has a strong interest in soul music shoud buy 'Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures' there are now four volumes of this spine tingling stuff out there. Go get it! [%sig%]
archergirl
Anonymous's picture
My favourite is: "Who Gives a Rat's Arse?" by N. Different.
RhodeIslangGirl
Anonymous's picture
Oh let me not go on how I am killing the Ray Cd...I can't believe how awesome he was. Night and Day is my Favorite with Unchain my heart a close close second Aretha Franklin's Rock Steady is a huge fave of mine and I Aint Never Loved a Man
jude
Anonymous's picture
Charles And Eddie...was that a joke Milton
Topic locked