A.E. Coppard

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
A.E. Coppard

Just discovered this amazing English short story writer. Don't ask me to describe the style or content. Just go to a library (I can't imagine the stuff is still in print) and find a copy of The Mustard Field. What an utterly amazing author!

Hi Barry, I discovered A.E. Coppard many years ago and liked him then. He is an excellent writer of short stories which I love. I don't know about his novels or poetry. The book I have is entitled RUTH AND OTHER STORIES (Penguin). Another author I liken to Coppard is H.E.Bates, a latter day version of Coppard. If you haen't already, check him out: DARLING BUDS OF MAY; FAIR STOOD THE WIND FOR FRANCE (both novels) and THE FOUR BEAUTIES and THE AMAZING MRS V collections of short stories. Nice to know someone has similar (good) tastes. tm
Thanks for the info on Bates, Trevor. Coppard's life storied reads like one of his short stories - part fairy tale, part myth part surrealistic lsd trip. But many of his stories are too beautiful for words. The guy should be considered a national treasure in England.

barryj1

Topic locked