Targets and Re-Drafts. Then Edits andEver Painful Bits

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Targets and Re-Drafts. Then Edits andEver Painful Bits

How do you do yours? Do you set daily/weekly word counts? Is it a set draft limit, then edit post-writing or chaotic you go along? All those minutiae. I want to hear some of your daily approaches. If you would.

I can use 'as' when needed. I just can't use this bloody forum efficiently.

Every time I change a nappy I think of a word and write it down. I put the word in the nappy sac in the knowledge that one day in the future anthropologists will unearth these gems and conclude that I was a shit writer.

For most of my writing life I've commuted to work in London and therefore had very minimal time at the keyboard. Stories would be scribbled in notebooks, on corners of newspapers, postit notes, even on the back of my hand then rising up across both arms. Then I'd have a mad write-up session whenever I had time at the keyboard. LIfe's slightly better now I live and work in the same town, I do an hour most nights, though I've still got several stories in my notepad I need to write up (theoretically that's what I'm doing now). In terms of inspiration, it comes in bursts, usually 2 stories at a time.

Thank you. There will clearly be a bestseller named Shit. I am off to watch The Mighty on repeat with some Edam. I asked, as I spend long periods in procrastination destroying my work and mumbling about being worthless. My re-drafting is painful.Hours. Hours and hours of re-drafting. But it must be for all. Was seeking tips from the organised, the high-generators that churn out wordage. I always think I am missing some secret. But there are none. Reality = writing is as painful as it ever was for me. Am nicely reassured now. I usually have a couple of things going on, and whilst I am a slacker, I do bursts.

I can write between 1000 and 2000 words a day. This is first draft stuff. I rarely get beyond that. There are 100 different ways of approaching editing. Most of them are valid and have some merit, but I really can't be arsed. Most days I don't write anything.

That quote is me. I didn't notice Anna ever lurking in my life.

Is this worth buying Stan?

For what it's worth, my daily target is to always do something, whether it's entering a competition, editing something, or writing some new words. I'm not a very focused person. My head is all over the place at the best of times, and I currently juggle a part time paid job, and shifts at 2 charity shops with my writing. So a couple of sentences written is an achievement at the moment. But to be honest, I find I write more now than I did when I wasn't working at all. Having limited time must act as a motivator.

Thank you - will have a look.