Festive Season

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Festive Season

It's that time of year. Again! What if anything does it mean to you? I was brought up a non-religious Jew. I have a liking for the cheerful festivals from everywhere so I light my Channukah candles- this year the first day of Channukah falls on Christmas Day, I put up my white plastic and tinsel Christmas tree and my twinkly lights - maybe in about 10 days, and if I still lived in Wembley Park where I was brought up I would walk to Wembley Central and down Ealing Road to see the Divali lights. I describe myself as having a 'pick and mix' approach to religion! Also, in a quiet way, I am a pagan. I believe (and this is purely my subjective point of view) that paganism, which is the respectful celebration of Nature and the Seasons, is the only faith for which we have obvious physical evidence.To give you an example - in England the snowdrop is always the first flower of Spring and I am always happy when I see 'my' first snowdrop of the new year.

Anyone wish to share their views - and if we have differences of opinion can we please agree to differ ​and keep it friendly.

I'm always happy to see snowdrops. Heard my first Christmas song today. Wizard, yeh, remember then and I wish it could be Christmasssssssssss Every Day. I don't. I'm working but not very hard to get it all cancelled. Bah Humbug. 

Hi, Elsie, – that's a challenge. I do love the lights etc in the December darkness, but do find the push of 'Spend, spend, spend' on gifts and feasting in the shops gets wearing, as I do want to remember that it is a time when we can particularly think about the need for, and coming of the Light of the world in the person of Jesus. As for evidence, I think not only that the beauty and biochemical complexity of nature points to a Designer/Creator, but also, in particular, the evidence for the historical Jesus of miracle works and amazing words and offer, and of his resurrection is very strong if studied. (As well as his work in my life.) 

Rhiannon

Ill spend my christmas day in a local crisis center with all sorts of vunerable characters. The salt of the earth they all are. Bless.

Stephen d

CM, Rhiannon and Thornwood thanks for your interesting and thoughtful replies. Wishing you a very good December and January  and many happy returns of itsmiley

And if we have time to do so let us remember the wise words of Bob Geldof and Band Aid

'Here's to us - raise a glass to everyone

Here's to them - beneath the blazing sun

.....Do they know it's Christmas ....Feed the world!'