For inspiration, try...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For inspiration, try...

Natalie Goldberg.

Her book "Wild Mind" really gets me going. It's always lying somewhere to hand, often under a bottle of something. Hmmmm, maybe it's the bottle of something that gets me going?

Has anyone read her "Writing Down The Bones?"

Joyce Hicks
Anonymous's picture
Reading newspapers Reading magazines Think of a story/film/play, or whatever. Dismantle it down to the bare bones of the story, change characters, names and places, and use the 'core' of the story to create your own. I did this once with a short story by Anton Chekov, submitted it to a weekly women's magazine, and it was accepted. No similarity whatsoever, needless to say, between Chekov's story and mine. I simply used his framework. Authors do it all the time! Think of Pygmalian and the film 'Pretty Woman' with Richard Gere (I think). Exactly the same story. I'm also a devotee of Writing Magazine and Writers' News. Lots of helpful articles in both mags, with ideas to get you going.
fergusthecelt
Anonymous's picture
I also use a nice bottle of malt whisky at times, for inspiration. It does work, conjures up memories long forgotten etc... However, I find that the more the bottle empties, the more likely I am to throw the pen down and rush out to find a lively bar or band. You can't win sometimes.
sugrefwugref
Anonymous's picture
o yes, i agree wholeheartedly.
fregwreg
Anonymous's picture
oh, me too. Absolutely.
fw
Anonymous's picture
indeed.
Too Much Coffee
Anonymous's picture
Idea's for getting in the writing mood:
Too Much Coffee
Anonymous's picture
Ooops! Hit the panic button too soon. As I was saying, idea's for inspiration: - Use pen and paper vice a computer and let your hand just write what it wants. You won't complete a novel this way but many ideas seem to "flow" this way. - Spend time with children. They have very profound thoughts that can provide much inspiration. - Go to an old church, cemetary or some place ancient. Old places seem to cause many writers to go into a frenzy of activity. - Dress up nicely. Go to your local bookstore or library and review a few of the new releases. Always works best with a cup of tea or coffee. - Take a pad of paper and go to a mall or any area where there are a lot of people. Watch the people and take notes. Best character development idea I know of! Much luck, Sir Folgers
Topic locked