Lolita

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lolita

Having taken Mark's advice in the disuss work from abc forum to read Half a Woman by Rachel, it brought Nabokov's unsettling work of genius to the front of my mind.

I wondered what people think of it?

Personally I find it to be one of the most stylistically rewarding books I have ever read. Nabokov created in Humbert Humbert an intelligent, intellectual, devious, witty, self-absorbed, predator. A character who can almost convince you that his behaviour is not dangerous. A character who is so clever with the way he dishes out his story you sometimes forget you are in the company of an arch manipulator.

It is in many places uncomfortable reading.

It is in many places very funny.

It is in many places quite sad.

What a combination.

It took me years to actually pick it up because I was sick of hearing people rave about it. And also i was put off by that terrible film with Jeremy Irons in it when they turned it into a drama. (where was the irony, where was the dark depths?)

I think it is a book that cannot be filmed. It is a perfect example of how a book works differently from a film. Especially a first person narrative; Humbert Humbert thinks one thing and acts out another. He is your perfect untrustworthy narrator.

You could say I rather liked the book.

julian
Anonymous's picture
Couldn't agree with you more Fergal - not only is it an astounding bit of writing, English is something like Nabokov's third language! It's no easy feat writing in a foreign tongue that's for sure - all my stories in Russian are rubbish. Oh, and as for filmed versions - watch the Kubrick one, I agree Lolita is an unfilmable book in the sense that the style etc could never be recreated, but James Mason as HH is absolutely spot on.
fergal
Anonymous's picture
Julian - the fact English wasn't even Nabokov's first language has always struck me as somewhat of a killer. How could he play with words so much? Geez....! I will rent out that film this weekend and make up for the fact that Jezza Irons played it too sincere and they made the girl look too sexualised (a lot of people don't get that Humber sexualises her so we sexualise her so we sort of imagine her as a Marylin Monroe type. But that is through his eyes.... we know he doesn't go for womanly types... just the shapeless child types... but we still believe that Lolita is v sexy in an adult way.... fascinating)
Tara
Anonymous's picture
Yes it's a great book - I read it in one night when I was about 14. Witty yet sad, and still very relevant today. I've always wondered what kind of influence it had on me... of course I didn't see the irony then. The original film is extremely evocative, although hampered somewhat by the censorship of the time. Peter Sellers and Shelley Winters are in it too, and very well cast. The remake was atrocious - they tried to impose too many moral judgements on the story, which insults the intelligence of anyone unfortunate enough to see it.
Topic locked