before I'm thirty

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
before I'm thirty

Just popped on due to unlikely morning off from teaching and was reminded by a friend of my before I'm thirty list that I posted in November. Just looked over it to see how I'm doin.. I've got till April 29th...

finish final draft of my novel and get it sold - Um...oops...um...well...I opened the file on my computer and scrolled through it once or twice.

go to Iceland (not the shop) or New York, or both - um...er...

make homemade icecream - DONE. Brandy. Nice. Not as nice as from the shop. Let's be honest here.

make a christmas pudding - DONE. I put nuts in it. My sister is allergic to nuts.

dance on the bar in a pub - DONE - Three times. How could I have not done this sooner? If you haven't done it, do it. It is great.

ask at least one person I like on a date, rather than wait to be asked - DONE but irrelevent now as I now have lovely boyfriend (who asked me out by putting his phone number on many cigarette papers and leaving them in all the pockets of my handbag, which was much more fun than me asking him out)

wear hotpants on a night out - DONE, several times. Exhilirating.

learn how to play the penny whistle - um, started, sort of. Well, I bought one for 3 quid.

make sloe gin - nope, not yet. I don't even know how. Is it as simple as cramming a load of sloes into a bottle of gin? How can that qualify the use of the word 'make'... that's not making is it?

always have a bottle of vodka in the freezer, no matter what - well I would have done, but it runs out so quickly. I can't keep that level of alcoholism up, I really can't.

read some Proust - does a page of someone else's Guremantes Way on the train count?

learn to do the dance routine to a Justine Timberlake song - I can do that 'pretend to do your tie up' thing, but I don't know if that qualifies as a 'routine' exactly. And several people have told me to never do it again.

have a pedicure - nope, but it's hardly an unatainable goal is it? It's just, who wants to step into a beauty salon? do they even call them beauty salons? What actually goes on in there? Also what is eyebrow waxing? Should I do it? Will it change me if I do?

give out christmas messages printed on business cards to strangers - oops, I didn't do this and I'll be 30 before next Christmas. Will have to do it at easter.

form a singing group in time to carol in harmony for Christmas - does singing Good King Wenceslas whilst staggering home on New Year's eve after 2 bottles of champagne count? No? Darn.

So, all in all, I'm getting there.. but I have to say, looking over them, many of them were ridiculously shallow.

Well Ferg, my entire mental image of you has just gone up into thin air. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

I'd love to be asked on a date by a vodka drinking, hot pant-wearing carol girl who knows all the moves to JT. bucket please... There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

Ah, well, you have some time yet, fergal, to the get the rest of your list ticked. Eyebrow waxing is NOT recommended. I had it done once by someone who gave my brows the shape of large spermatazoa: a big bulb of brow followed by a pencil-thin arch. NOT attractive. Plus my brow area was beet red for hours afterward. Just pluck. Or not. I'm sure there was a sloe gin thread on here at one point. I think Fish was the resident expert, if I recall. You sound like a lot of fun, really. Wish I could turn 30 again. Gosh, the things I'd do differently. Like, the last seven years.
Do the sloe gin thing. Do it. It's as simple as pricking the sloes, and putting them in the gin with a load of sugar. Plenty of googlable recipes online. You have to wait ages (ie months) but the results are amazing. I was happy as Larry drinking mine.
I notice that the sloe deprived can now buy sloe gin in shops.

yes sloe gin is hardly hard to do.. hmmm. in what way radio? I have always been the same... might go to new york anyway
I'm going to new york in April, it's very good.

*bitch* not even 30 and you can write like that :) Juliet

Juliet

Foster
Anonymous's picture
Was in NY a couple weeks ago, just for some artsy stuff, but not yet Iceland. List looking pretty good, and besides, you'll be 30 for a whole year - I don't see why you can't use that time to finish up...(minor infraction, really).
Iceland's great too, though a tad chilly this time of year.

I was intending to write a things-to-do-before-I'm-30 list but it's still on my other to-do list, which is a bit crap of me really. I'm 30 in May and the only thing I've managed to do is lie to myself, and others, that I don't care. Line of the moment: "If I have as much fun in my 30s as I did in my 20s I'll be all right." What utter tosh. True thoughts: "damn, damn, damn."

I've had fun my whole life. Shame it was always tainted by my bad temper. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

oh god ... i have just realised that doing one of these for my next decade means things to do before i am 50
"Things to do" ...hmm... How about, "Things to be"...? pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

mmm....and mine would be things to do before I'm 60 ... and that is not even remotely funny.
mikedixon
Anonymous's picture
nice thread - randomly my birthday is the same day as yours, but i have 1 whole extra year :) so I guess this means I can take the next 2 months off? excellent :) mike.
Topic locked