punctuation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
punctuation

I struggle badly with punctuation. I almost need to go back to basics. Can anyone recommend a book, or website that would help.
One of my friends called my grammar and punctuation 'challenging', ouch.
Apparently this is because I was educated at a comp during the early 80's. That's what I heard, and as it points the blame elsewhere, I like it!
Seriously, any recommendations?

Eats,Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss; it will tell you everything you need to know in a light-hearted and understandable way. If you're really serious about getting to grips with it all, buy a copy of Fowler's Modern English Usage as well. When you use the book you may find words that your teachers felt were unimportant hindering your understanding. 'Intransitive', for example; look it up in the book... you will end up looking up something else, then something else. HOWEVER, it will teach you more than a barrelful of people who believe grammar is not important. Good luck! Ewan
Thanks Ewan, off to buy eats, shoots and leaves now. Fowler's I'll leave for when I feel a basic grasp approaching. To add to your horror, I had to look 'intransitive' up. MG

Divorced Mum of 3 who has always loved to write. Haven't done so for a while, I somehow lost the knack. Loving writing again - except for the undone washing, the messy house, the kids wanting feeding..........

The punctuation in your post is quite good :)

Yes marion's got a point! (Except watch out for '80's', should be '80s', but this is a common slip for most people not as anal about apostrophe usage as I am). And I also recommend 'Easts, Shoots and Leaves'. Good luck! Thanks, :)
Topic locked