another plea for help

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
another plea for help

I have two problems. The first is capitals (again). if you say "my great aunt" should it be capitalised? The second is the headache I have given myself trying to work it out - so you could kill two birds with one stone, and I'd be very grateful : )

I'm not sure it matters IPFNH. Capitals, and punctuation generally, are gradually being phased out except for screaming at people you disagree with on message boards. seriously i don't no
IT'S ONE OF THOSE STUPID THINGS THAT WE OUGHT TO KNOW THOUGH ISN'T IT thanks for trying to help

My Great Aunt should definitely be capitalized; don't know about yours. Does she deserve it? Is she a nice woman/man?? Is she rich? Have you seen the will?
oh ok, thanks : ) I will go back and change them all then. She was nice. didn't see the will but luckily it didn't matter where she lived - inheritance laws there adjusted to take account of poor grammar

Proper order, that sounds somefink like where I wanna live, innit!
- not if you were hoping to get the lot you wouldn't !

For my two penn'orth here ´My Great Aunt Sally` but ´I went to stay with a great aunt on my mother´s side` is what I understood the usage to be. I have just checked this in Fowler´s Modern English usage and think it comes under the titles and forms of address ruling.
Hah! I knew it didn't look right when I went back and changed it all. Thank you so much for going to the trouble of looking it up. Hang on a sec though, what about my mother in your example? is it because the name isn't mentioned or because it's followed by side

You could just capitalize Side? That should keep everybody happy.
Thank you for the imaginative suggestion. I liked that lily Allen thing you posted

In dialogue, were your story set 'oop north' as it were, it would be: 'Can yer 'ear me, Mother?'
thanks - I changed it all and it does look wrong - will change it back again in a minute - god I am rubbish at grammar. I had to buy a book when I started teaching because students would ask me questions I couldn't answer. can do it in french though!

Topic locked