getting hold of writers...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
getting hold of writers...

Does anyone know how to get hold of a "famous" writer? I'm on the committee for the uni creative writing society, and this year we want to try and get hold of some ex-UEAers to come and be guest speakers. I think we're basically gonna write to anyone who's had moderate success and went to UEA at some point (though I'm not holding out too much hope for Ian McEwan et al!), but I really want to try and get hold of Toby Litt. Should I write to them through their publishers? I have no idea!

Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Yes, you can try sending a letter to him via his publisher, with an explanatory covering letter to pub - addressing said pub by name will also help :-) Good luck
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
This is the approach I used when I was getting people for interviews. Find someone you respect but that isn't too huge (you won't get McEwan, you might get Litt) and find their publisher's website. There will be a section somewhere about the PR people, and email the PR person. Be really nice and explain what you want, what it will involve and how many people you are hoping to show up. Don't fire off ANY emails asking when they are going to reply - it has to go at their pace or not at all. The less you ask from the novelist in terms of time the better your chances are. Good luck! I always found the people at Penguin very handy, any novelist with a first book is more amenable than the ones who have been doing it for years. Granta are also very good with promoting young novelists, so they are worth a go.
Rachel
Anonymous's picture
Beef, Email me at the address above and I'll give you some contacts. Rachel
Pete
Anonymous's picture
If yr still looking for Litt, you can contact him through his website www.tobylitt.com Toby is a good guy and it's more than likely he'll respond . . .
Topic locked