The best book in the world that only you've read...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
The best book in the world that only you've read...

Here's a little question for you:

What is the best book in the world that only you seem to have read?

You know the situation: You're having a discussion about books and everyone is reeling off stuff they really like, to appreciative 'nods' and 'hmmms' from those assembled. You manage to elbow your way to the forefront of the conversation, take centre stage, announce the name and author of a persoanl favourite of yours and then...

Nothing. Silence. For agonising seconds before someone picks up the baton and gets the conversation moving again.

These books tend be ones that you inherit from other people, or buy in bargain bookshops or find in charity shops. They are books that seem to be too oblique, too badly advertised, poorly distributed or just appealling to too small a niche.

They are the books, who like their authors presumably, sit and mould waiting for the public to find them.

So, favourite books for blank looks? Mine is 'The Other Side' by Alfred Kubin. It's an extended manic depressive fever dream about a town owned by the richest man in the world that is invite only. Once you arrive there you find that he is buying up all of the old stuff in the world for his kingdom, which is full of surreal and odd events, and from which it is impossible to leave. I bought it in a charity shop for ten pence in a penguin modern classics edition, with a lovely grey spine.

The Other Side by Alfred Kubin

What about you?

Anything by Greg Illes, I have yet to meet another person who has read one of his books.
Greg Illes : All of his books are great! Each time I read one, it's better than the last! I have read about 6 or 7 of his now,, I intend to read them all! One of his at least, has been made into a movie, the book was 24 Hours, made into a movie called "Trapped". I haven't seen it yet. I just started reading his books in the last few months.
These weren't at all obscure at one time, but they seem to be getting that way now: The Horse's Mouth by Joyce Cary Troubles by JG Farrell Visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
The Roaches Have No King by Daniel Evan Weiss It's a crazy piece written by the cockroaches who live in a predictably Jewish author's New York flat. Each one is born in a different book and absorbs the information and personality of that book. They love his slpadash girlfriend who spreads food all over the place - and are heartbroken when she leaves. It's a must-read!
The Dwarf by Par Lagerkvist. Incredibly, this author received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1951. The book is based upon historical events when Leonardo was working for the Borgias. There was an actual dwarf at that court and various murders and wars did take place. The novel is from the dwarf's perspective.
I'm always looking out for collections of modern short stories, and in the library I found a stunning one a couple of years ago called "Skin Folk" by a Canadian Caribbean writer called Nalo Hopkinson - apparently she's got several novels and another story collection published, but I've never seen them in the UK.
Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar. Actually I heard about it on national radio so hundreds of people must have read it, I've just never met one. It is a lovely book and has the best first two pages of any book I've read.

Rope Tricks by Jocelyn Ferguson. It's really really brilliant. I bought it in Hay on Wye for £1 last winter and I read it one sitting. It is very good. I recommend it to everyone.
"Vurt" by Jeff Noon. Or any of the sequels. "Neverness" and the trilogy : "Requiem for homosapiens" by David zindell. People who like sci fi rave on about Neal Stephenson et al but Zindell is miles ahead. I like the sound of "The Other Side" Mark

Topic locked