What do you do to tell yourself it's time to write?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you do to tell yourself it's time to write?

Most writing tips start at the point at which you pick up a pen.

My question is: How do you convince yourself that now is the time to write? Writing tips are all well and good if you can actually get sat down and started.

Does anyone have any good techniques to get to that situation?

Does it involve timetables? Does it involve coffee? A brisk walk? A room of one's own?

Just how do you get your time to write and just how do you make sure you use it for writing?

Well, I was hoping I could say - it's when I wave the last of the kids off to school after a nine week holiday, that I sit down at my pc with a cup of tea and pick up where I left off. However, I've just tried this and it hasn't worked. I have, however, managed to play numerous games of Sudoku, bought some labels over the internet and read through all the forums on ABCTales. I now need another cup of tea...
I always seem to find time to write, no matter how busy I am. I just tell myself that it would be a waste not to. Phillip Pullman said somewhere (I think it was the Writer's Handbook) that the difference between a professional writer and a non-professional is that a professional has to write even when there is no inspiration - has to force it out. Surprisingly, forcing stuff out sometimes makes my best writing. I wrote seven chapters of a novel last week lying on my bed with an A4 notebook and a blue ink itallic pen. I had absolutely zero ideas about what was going to happen, but I made myself do it. I started with a character saying something. In the end I ended up with a part of the book that I now love - a photo shoot on a beach with my main character dressed up as 'mermaid meets Courtney Love circa 1994 meets Victoriana'. It was such fun to write. I had no idea I was going to put my main character in a silly frock and get her to pout for a Sunday Supplement, but it really works. So: Make yourself. It really doesn't matter if what you write is tripe. Just write. Even if you get one image you love it is worth it. My other tip is this: Bake. I make biscuits and cakes (vegan, obviously) on a regular basis. There is something about flour and icing that gets the ideas going... Acorn coffee is cool too - makes me feel like an elf, and that in itself makes me feel all imaginative... Also, exercise gets me working. A 30 minute swim creates all sorts in my head. My suggestion is to get out of the habit of thinking everything has to be 'just right' to write. Nothing is ever 'just right' so 'just write', I'd say.
Well I don't know much about what gets me started and at the moment things are a bit quiet.But the A4 block is the best thing and my parker biro or any other wrtitng thing that I can find which I can now because they are all in a glas-last I looked.I don't use my PC anymore-very seldomly-you can take your block just about everywhere and write.And yes it doesn't matter what it is you are writing about (tripe?) just keep going. I think my next ''piece'' will be about the turned off television and all the thinking I do because it is never turned on!! BuuuuT-be prepared-if you send something off to a publisher you will get a feeling of a part of you missing and you may even get depressed-frantic,angry-inactive,feel apathy- even if it is only at your sisters place 200 miles away- you will feel lost until you realize what is happening and...then...you start again,n'est pas?Just don't send the empty block unless you have your cellar filled with new ones... I send one or two poems to my sister once a month -this is a custom and I can always get the words down..I just have to that's why-sort of an obligation.And when she says something like-"Don't you ever stop writing!" well then I just have to, don't I?I like a cup of cofee with lots of milk in it and maybe a cigaret (not that necessary)-mainly when I take a break-which is difficult because the story will always be in your head.Water! Remember to have a notepad by the bedside -sometimes I have discovered that I get an idea just before I am about to sleep..they can be a strife of genious-but I suppose that is a bit hysterical being so devoted. And as you say Fergal-everything you write is right especially as it is sliding from your brain through your body and down your arm and into your hands and fingers where the pen is...a bit erotic actually..

arrow

The last couple of months I've enjoyed my writing and felt more like a 'proper' writer than ever before. One major lesson I've learnt is that every piece of advice you are offered is just that - advice. Nothing is set in stone. I tried that whole 'set aside an hour (or half an hour or ten minutes) each evening (or week or month) in which you say, "this is my time to write" '... it didn't work for me! What I've found does work is having my journal on me at all times. I write when I feel like writing; when I don't, I don't. Sometimes it's for a 2 hour stretch, sometimes 2 minutes. And then I stop writing or thinking about writing, and allow my subconscious to go away and think about things for a bit - the next idea, the next part of the story or whatever. Then I write again when the 'muse' takes me! This is how Larry & Mick came about. I'm hoping to 'do something' with these stories, but the main thing is that I've really enjoyed writing them (and plan on writing many more!). And like anything in life, I think if you can enjoy it, you are more likely to succeed. Well anyway, that's me. Good luck in finding inspiration! "P" (PS. the 2nd major thing I've learnt is that there is always time to write, if you are determined enough to find it - on the bus to work, on the loo, during your lunchbreak, in those precious few minutes before you go to sleep or just after you wake up... it's amazing how many hours a few grabbed minutes here and there can make up!)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked