One in three has bought a book just to look intelligent

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
One in three has bought a book just to look intelligent

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,1599060,00.html

Brilliant story in today's Guardian stating that:

"Driven partly by pressure from incessant literary prize shortlists, more than one in three consumers in London and the south-east admit having bought a book "solely to look intelligent", the YouGov survey says."

It goes on to say that:

"Some consumers hedge their bets by keeping two titles on the go - one an impressive book to show other people, the other an escapist work to enjoy."

It also says that:

The sample's own top 10 titles, a mixture of classic and popular, is: the Bible, Lord of the Rings, one or other of the Harry Potter stories, Catch-22, Animal Farm, The Hobbit, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Da Vinci Code, Wuthering Heights.

So, is this something you confess to? I think it may really only be a London thing, where most people to a lot of their reading whilst communting.

It is an interesting idea, though. Do we read what we want or do we read what other people seem to think we should? Is it good that we try to look clever by tackling 'big clever important books' when really we'd be more comfortable with little inconsequental ones? Do we all only read difficult stuff so we can show off to other people? Is reading just a big competition?

What do you reckon?

Cheers,

Mark Brown, Editor, www.ABCtales.com

Enzo
Anonymous's picture
This society would be great if it wasn't for all the people in it. I find the thought of someone reading Wuthering Heights with the Da Vinci Code tucked inside where no-one will see quite disturbing. Actually, I find the idea of someone enjoying the Da Vinci Code quite disturbing to be honest. And does the Bible count as proper literature or inconcequential escapism? Ben.. www.thedevilbetweenus.com
I don't think I've ever bought a book just because I thought it would make me look clever, I've bought books thinking they would actually make me clever, which might be even worse. As for having two on the go, at any time I have about a dozen on the go. I am guilty of sometimes selecting what to read on the train based on what is most likely to make the pretty young female commuters who get off at Richmond want to talk to me (Margaret Atwood seems to work best). Normally I just pick the smallest.

Topic locked