Post novel Fall Out

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Post novel Fall Out

Well, I finished my final - I'm happy with it - draft of my novel on Friday. At first I felt triumphant, and now I'm all over the place. I'm used to writing it, altering it, re-reading it. Now it's just 'out there' waiting to be read and I'm all lost.

Yesterday I drank all of my housemate's guiness from the fridge (6 cans) while watching the free copy of The Wicker Man that came free with Satruday's Guardian. I ate 2 Linda McCartney pies with lots of mash and an entire packet of frozen peas. I had a box of choc ices for pudding.

I watched Midsumer Murders in the evening, smoked 3 rollies (in liquorish paper obviously) Drank cocoa.

Woke up.

Stared at the ceiling and thought: ARghifnfnsdnggnnnnnnnnn (writer's interpretation of actual thought).

Yikes. I came out of the house dressed in my pyjamas because I couldn't be bothered to get changed. I just put a long coat on over them and a particuarlly wrap-around-able scarf. Now that is WRONG.

I may spring clean the house when I get home later. Now that is WRONGER.

Better start writing a new novel, and pronto.

Just finished my first draft, and am having the same issues. I'm at home (number one child and I have stinking colds) and I'm debating between mounds of laundry, cleaning or sleeping. *Yawns*
I am at work and have had three hours sleep. everyone keeps remarking on how ill I look. Can I come and join you Fergal, your house sounds llike fun. Span
well, there are only 2 cans of guinness left - no pies and a lot of washing up... if that sounds like your thing, do come! do!
Yup, I love washing up. Nooo. Span
We've got lots of tissue boxes here, and some aren't even empty! Oh, and herbal tea.
I haven't started my novel but I have an idea. Will never gain notoriety in secular circles but it's an Adrian Mole style diary of a Catholic priest- a gentle satire on the modern Church. I predict it will be sold in abundance in Christian bookstores and charity shops. I will be asked to be the after-dinner-speaker at church bridge clubs.

ferg ... get a shed ... it's the absolute cure for Post Novel Stress Disorder and Pre Next Novel Anxiety ... guaranteed! fish x x x (wearing shed trousers/shed jumper)
(p.s. while you are in the shed you can imagine who you will dedicate your novel to ... yesterday i spent a happy couple of hours listening to little toe radio and wondering who to name in my acknowledgments ...)
I'm so over writing novels. They put Linda McCartney in pies? Visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
That's recycling gone mad!
Oh congrats for having finished and good luck with it. What's it about and all that and what are you planning to do with it? I am usually pretty dissatisfied when I finish something and keen to start on something new. I've got two novels in the can at the moment. But can never be bothered to send them off. It's an effort isn't it? Got a new house tho' and am happily momentarily from second to second. Fish, meet me at Borders one day! x

I have no novel, no house, not even a shed. But I feel rather blessed today! Don't meet me in Borders Fish as bookshops have the profound effect of making me want to bark.

borders drew, lovely ... let's make a date but not tell jude ... i met a brace of lit dev officers last night at an Apples and Snakes event in leicester ... no doubt you know them? i think it's time to join society again - have been underground for ages watching DVD's ... but now can go out again ... that is a positive aspect to post novel fall out ... how's it going fergs?
Going good. I just spent 40 minutes 'designing' a front cover for the copy of my book I'm printing out for Gareth to read. Ha! It does look lovely though, and every book needs a cover. To be honest, I am delighted to have finished a book I am happy with. Am already 20,000 words into a new one, which I started just before Christmas, Arts Council money is in, there is sun outside, and I got a pair of plimsoles for £8. I feel that I am very very very lucky person. Drew, glad to hear things are going well for you - the book is about incest, high fashion and guillemots. It's narrated by the neice of a recently dead fashion designer and the fall out after his death (she hasn't spoken to him for 10 years, although she grew up with him on the South Coast)... It's called Seams. (Sorry Ely, Coats it ain't no more).
Topic locked