At school...

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
At school...

...you never really thought about the teacher as a person and how shit scared they might be standing up in front of you did ya?

You just think adults are adults and are fine.

I only say this as I am about to teach Euthanasia (the theories behind it, not literally or practically) to a group of YR 10s, 5 of which just came back from being excluded.

I am, shall we say, shit scared.

Even though the lesson will be fine because I've made worksheets and all sorts, the kids are great really and the hour will pass anyway.

But still. I wonder about teachers from when I was at school and how they really felt.

When I look back at my school days I realise that some of my teachers were really very good, inspiring and passionate about their subject. I had an especially good Physics teacher. Some however were narrow minded bigots ... especially when it came to RE. Whenever we had to discuss subjects such as euthanasia or abortion, there really was no 'discussion' . It was all very Catholic. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

When I was at school it seemed to work along the lines of a natural history programme – with the toughest kids at the back of the class sniffing out any unsuspecting, weak supply teachers. It makes me cringe looking back on it, but at the time they were *teachers* and therefore considered fair game – literally. It was just boredom I think – winding up teachers made classes more entertaining. What always made a difference though, Fergs, was if the subject was in any way meaty or controversial and we were asked for our opinions. I remember two lessons/discussions – one on capital punishment, the other on abortion – we were still debating when the bell rang… Euthanasia’s a good’un. You’ll be fine. Jude, funny how your most inspirational teacher was a science teacher and you went into science. Our most inspirational teacher taught History, a subject I ended up choosing for my degree. Has anyone ever had an inspiratinal Geography teacher or is that a contradiction in terms? ~ www.fabulousmother.com
We had a geography teacher who had a nervous breakdown and ended up climbing a tree in the playing field one day and refusing to come down. It inspired me to not become a geography teacher.

My experiences of School was nothing short of miserable. Most of my Teachers considered Dyslexia to be an excuse for laziness, behavioral problems or just plain thick. English was horrific. I spent much of my time standing with a book in my hand. The other kids would often be held back until I had read out loud. Defending my self from the other kids became something of a routine in those days. Like Jude, my favorite lessons were Science. My favorite Teacher's were Physics or Science related and my Physics teacher was as scary as she was brilliant. There was no way I would say i couldn't do something. Any one that did, often got reduced to tears. She did however, understand how my 'dysfunctional brain', actually worked.
When I was at school we had a supply teacher who failed to control us and ended up running out of class in tears. A few years later at college, and this dubious episode forgotten, I went for a meal at the house of someone I'd befriended - only to find his mum was that supply teacher! That was uncomfortable to say the least!
When I was at school I knew exactly what it was like for teachers, because in a lot of ways I felt closer to them than the people in my classes. I had a number of socially minded, fair and respectful left wing teachers who were obviously doing teaching for the 'right reasons', and as such found dealing with the more disruptive facts of teaching life difficult. I was definitely on their side. I remember feeling a sort of embarrassed shame on their behalf, thinking 'I'm really sorry, I can see what you're trying to do, and you can do it with me but not them', like I was picking up their distress and frustration. It was horrible. It made me feel powerless and ashamed that I couldn't do anything. I just wanted to be at their level, not at mine. I did, however, fervently hate the authoritarian blowhards who were 'hard but fair', which seemed to me just a way of explaining that you were going to treat everyone like shit and then expect them to beam with joy when they decided to say something nice, make a joke or let you out three minutes early. I got on very badly with them, but they probably weren't bothered. Cheers, Mark

When I was at school, everyone was shocked. My high school english teacher was good because she did everything with a wry grin, and was very softly spoken. The one lesson I hated - science - has now become a little passion of mine. I learned nothing in high school science because the teachers were ratty, boring, and never made the subject exciting and wonderous. Funny how the one lesson I hated is now one of my most cherished subjects. Goes to show how teachers can affect our lives, for better or for worse. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

"When I was at school, everyone was shocked." Ha ha! What? I very rarely felt my teachers were in any kind of emotional trouble. Long-suffering maybe, but most of them seemed very capable of controlling kids. Even the ones who were the victims of coordinated disruptance used to put up with it in a dignified way before passing on the names of the main culprits to form tutors for punishment. The idiots in class were just wasting their time.
The worst thing I ever did to a teacher: I hated my Chemistry teacher and she hated me. At the end of our GCSE year, I bought one of those big Thank You cards that were sometimes bought for a good teacher to say thanks. I wrote in very large letters THANKS FOR EVERYTHING MISS and got the entire class to sign it - including those who would go on to study A-level chemistry with her. I had written my message with one of those erasible pens. I wiped out the original message, then wrote the words YOU ARE GOING BALD instead. She wasn't going bald but she did have a big afro type haircut. Then I put the card in the envelope and got a friend to give it her. What a cruel thing to do. After she'd put up with my shit for two years. And I got an A in my exam. I thought of her as completely unhurtable. Ugh.
oh my God Joe. That is unbelievable. Very very funny, in a disclocated way. But terrible! My lesson was fine. The only problem I have, if it is a problem, is that I smile all the time, and if I find something funny I will laugh. Even if it is inappropriate. I can't pretend to be a completely different person. Still, a year 10 boy said today, 'Miss I think there is something wrong with my c***. If I c*** in your face will you wait a couple of days then tell me if you come out in a rash. Then I'll get some tablets.' I laughed, very hard actually, mostly out of shock perhaps... and still dealt with it using the official punishments the school requires. He said, 'Miss you always laugh when people do something wrong,' and I said, 'Yes, but that doesn't mean I don't punish you does it? And it means it's up to you to assess what it really appropriate for the class room or not doesn't it?' to which he said, 'spose. Yeah. Fair point.' and continued to write out his stuff on whether patient A, in his opinion, should be allowed to stop being given life prolonging drugs.
My schooling was quite broken up, and I spent most of the last year mitching off anyway. If I was at school now, I'd probably be diagnosed with ADD - most of the symptoms of which I still have. Also, quite high-functioning autistic behaviour traits. Back in the 60s and 70s, these things didn't seem to be recognised much. I was just inattentive and a bit thick. I had ONE inspirational teacher, though - and he made the difference. He taught English. He cottoned onto something the others didn't. He encouraged me to read books. It's thanks to him that I eventually found the courage to tackle Higher Ed in later life. I traced him a couple of years back - he's in his 70s now - and wrote to thank him for making the best of a difficult job with me. He was overjoyed to get the letter and wrote back. Teachers are this country's most grossly under-respected and under-remunerated professionals.
I'm an RS teacher and i often have the hardest job of all, because staff and kids think you're religion mad. Whereas all I know is how to teach this stuff with an inquiring mind. It's a joy to talk to kids about how you think about this stuff
Euthanasia is only easy to teach if you agree with it - as I wholeheartedly do!!!
Topic locked