2nd Language English Writers

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
2nd Language English Writers

Living in Spain, amongst semi-literate ex-pats, can feel a little like a cultural vacuum, and Spanish people from the rest of Spain regard the Andalucians as little better than pale, illiterate Moroccans. Trawling the net, I found that my local town hall is running a literary comp.

Naturally, the language required is Castilian (posh Spanish). I remember some quite cruel comments on here concerning work by some people who were clearly writing in what was for them a second language. So I thought I'd give the competition a try. You know what? It's hard, very hard.

So, maybe, we can offer encouragement and help to ABCtales contributors from whatever country, instead of scoring cheap points?

Well said. I certainly wouldn't want to try my hand at writing a story in French, although I did once write a limerick to explain to some French friends what one was. I shudder to think how much I must have mangled both vocab and grammar. www.lorrainemace.com
I had to do a German GCSE a few years ago, and compulsory French before then. The exams were divided into three parts (listening, reading and writing), and in the said writing part, you were required to write a (admittedly very short) story about your day/your holiday/what you did at the weekend, etc, as grammatically correct as possible, with correct spelling and all that jazz. Suffice to say, it was very difficult and i failed!
Topic locked