Blogs and publishing rights...

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blogs and publishing rights...

Hey, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it on the forums.

Basically, I've been posting bits of writing on a blog for a bit. It's not huge by any means (at most 3,500 readers/month), and my question is this:

Would I ever be able to include these in a published work, pitching to an agent/real world publisher. Or does my having put it online mean that first publication rights are gone and no-one will want it?

I like putting it online, getting a modicum of feedback, and also it's just nice to have it out there... kind of makes me write more. But if down the line I want to do something with it, or anything else I write (get it in a book or enter it in to a competition...) Am I shooting myself in the foot by putting it online?

It's only a small blog, but it's still there...

All thoughts/experiences appreciated!

j

As I understand it, putting something up online doesn't constitute actual real world publishing. I've submitted a number of pieces to publications, stating clearly I've originally posted these here and haven't encountered any problems. But please don't take this as gospel. Maybe the best thing to do would be to try and speak to a publisher if you have any doubts. Hope this helps. Mark

Topic locked