Synopsis

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Synopsis

I want to send my work to a publisher to try and get published. They have asked for the first three chapters and then a synopsis of the rest of the book. I am going back through the story and writing everything down to try and make a short version of it but I'm finding it to be pretty challenging. Is there a right way to do this? does anyone have any advice?

Hi there Cormacru999 I recently submitted a part manuscript of a novel I am currently writing, with a synopsis of the subject matter still to be written. I kept the synopsis fairly short, basically outlining the storyline with topics and ideas of continuation. The recipient seemed to grasp my intentions and gave me valuable feedback accordingly. As your story seems to be complete, I would suggest an overview, concentrating on the body of the tale, plot line and perhaps beginning, middle and ending. I hope this may help. As I am relatively new to this writers world, perhaps a few tried and tested authors may be able to offer you a better outline.
Hi Cormacru999 :) I am not an expert writing, and fully agree with what Miss polly says, and happy new year to your both :) But when I did a story for my local college some time ago and where asked the same thing, what I did is just gave the basic story line and like miss Polly. I muself do not know of any 'correct' way of doing things at that early stage, only mark it clear at the top of the page 'synopsis' which I am sure you are doing, other than that just keep it brief and in my opionion dont give to much of the 'good bits' alwyas keep them wanting more :) Keep writing Keep Smiling :)

smiley Keep Smiling

Keep Writing xxx

Hi Cormacru999 Like Miss Polly and PrettyRose I am no expert but when I needed to write a synopsis to send out with the first few chapters of my manuscript I did a lot of research on line. The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook is always a good place to start but there are other sites that offer 'free' advice. From what I have read (and in my experience of researching Agents), most will ask for a one page synopsis. They are not normally after a chapter-by-chapter summary, but for an overview which captures how the story flows and develops. Like I said though, I'm not an expert, and I found it most difficult to do (and am still trying!) so I wish you all the best of luck. Sarah.
1. Your synopsis is your sales pitch, so make it punchy. 2. Keep it short. If it's more than 2 pages long, it'd better be good :) 3. Cut the adjectives and adverbs and make sure the grammar, spelling and punctuation are perfect. 4. A synopsis needs to tell everything, including the ending. In other words, no teasers or questions left up in the air. 5. Always use present tense (even if ms is in past) 6. Format as you did your ms and probably best to double-space. Failure to do any of these things will probably get your ms binned. Hope this helps. http://www.ukapress.com
Thank you all for helping, and yes, Andrea, that helps a lot. but what is an ms?

Nicholas Schoonbeck

ms = manuscript.
Topic locked